Toyota Dealership Service Versus Lexus Dealership

lexer

Hi, all. I just took my car to a Toyota dealership and got an alignment. It was pulling slightly to the right and when they were done, it still pulled to the right, though it was improved.

Took it back and the mechanic said it was my tires because they had worn unevenly. I didn't think this was the problem because the tires are new with only 2000 miles on them and they've already been rotated once or twice while i was getting oil change etc.

So I said this to him and asked to test his theory by rotating the tires. He was reluctant because it supposedly was not part of the alignment service protocol. I convinced him otherwise and when he was done, the car started pulling to the left. He explained that it proved it was the tires because now the right front tire was on the left front and so is pulling the opposite direction. I accepted it at the time, but now I know otherwise.

The steering wheel now sits slightly torqued to the left instead of slightly torqued to the right when the wheels are straight. So I think the guy "over-aligned" when I took it back. And who swaps the front tire positions? Aren't front wheels supposed to go to the back?

I called the guys and the good news is that they were open to the possibility that the alignment is somehow not right although the readings are correct. They want me to bring it back so they can try again, but I am wondering if I should just shell out the money and take it to Lexus. Toyota says they have the same equipment and training that the Lexus guys do so Lexus cannot offer more in the way of service.

Is this the case? And why is the wheel alignment so complicated?

========

Plus, they advised me to get new wheel locks because my wheel lock key is wearing. The mechanic says if my tires get a flat, I will not be able to change it because the key is too worn. The last time I got the wheels rotated, the non-Lexus mechanic mentioned nothing about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the wheel locks?

Well the Lexus dealers have a lot fancier coffee machines to start with :lol: An alignment is a pretty basic item for a service tech to perform so I don't think it's necessary to go to a Lexus dealer for this issue. I would like to ask for some more information from you such as what kind & type of tires you have on your car? See, some tires are what is called "directional" which means when they are rotated, they are NOT to be cris crossed (normal rotation means the front tires go straight to the back on the same side & the two back are "switched" to the front but on the opposite side). A directional rotation means front to back, back to front on the same side. The information should be on the sidewall of the tires if the tire's are directional (I assume all 4 are the same?) as they will have an arrow & say "right side" or "left side". Did the tech do a 2 or 4 wheel alighnemt? Did the tech also "balance" them before he/she performed the alighment? if you or another driver hit a curb as an example, that could effect how the tires are riding as well & make sure they are inflated to the correct pressure. All these could be possibilities to help correct your problem. B)

As for the wheel locks, I can't comment as I would need to see the condition the locks are in.....a new set of Toyota/Lexus wheel locks are quite inexpensive ($20 or there abouts) so perhaps it's a small price to pay to avoid aggravation down the road should you have a flat & can't get the wheel / tire off the car. Ask the tech to show you the wear on the existing locks before you make your decision.

:cheers:

Plus, they advised me to get new wheel locks because my wheel lock key is wearing. The mechanic says if my tires get a flat, I will not be able to change it because the key is too worn. The last time I got the wheels rotated, the non-Lexus mechanic mentioned nothing about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the wheel locks?

If the locks are fine and the Key is worn, just go to Lexus and have them order a new Key to match the locks.

As to the difference between Lexus & Toyota service, it's not much as far as an alignment is concerned. Billy-Jim-Joe-Bob at the County Repair Shop could do an alignment. It's nothing special. In fact, I don't know why you even went to the Toyota stealership and paid the extra labor tax for that since anyone can do it.

Lexus service is good for warranty work, complex electrical, & Lexus specific problems (and the "free" car wash). Otherwise, I would find yourself a good reliable independent mechanic and use him for just about everything else.

I would think the Toyota shop would be fine for an alignment, I prefer them over a more local shop because of their training and maybe better equipment. As I understand it, Radial tires should only be same side rotated (front-to-back, back-to-front), so I would think about swapping those front tires back around. Also, definitely check the tire rotation direction as LexusFreak suggests, but be sure to check your tire presure too, this might be why the pull is now to the left after exchanging the front tires and why it was to the right in the first place.

That shop's alignment rack could very well be misaligned itself. I went through this with my Honda dealer for a few months, until they finally had it checked out. They were sending cars out with a major left drift, even though the machine's readings were correct.

Once the alignment rack people came in and recalibrated it, all was well.

Try another shop.

Thanks for all the replies. I was wondering what was going on with the website for a couple days.

The wheels are Falkens and they are definitely balanced. Tire pressure, I know, is ok. I believe it was a four-wheel alignment.

I don't believe the tires are the problem because before I took it in, the steering wheel sat slightly turned to the right when the wheels were straight. The car would veer to the right. Now, they've done something and the steering wheel sits slightly turned to the left. So, of course, the car pulls to the left now. So I think if they could get the steering wheel just right, I should be ok.

I would strongly recommend that Lexus drivers go to a dealership for an alignment. I went to two local joe places before I went with Toyota. Local joes may be ok with some misalignment, but they definitely could not fix mine. One of them said their computer equipment didn't have the right algorithm for reading my casters.

Toyota has laser equipment and the other two places definitely did not.

As for the wheel locks, I am surprised that they are only $20. I think I am probably looking at something at least 3 times that. I will look into getting a new key, that's a good idea.

Thank you.