Question About 92-93 Es300

Hi everyone. I am a new member here, and am considering purchasing a 92-93 ES300. I am looking for a nice, comfortable, reliable daily driver; the ES300 seems to fit the bill. I keep hearing how reliable these cars are (which I don't doubt), however the cars that I am looking at have between 130,000 and 150,000 miles on them.

I know that every car with high mileage like this is bound to have some problems, but how long do these motors typically last (if taken care of)? Anything special I should look out for when test drivng these cars? Any advice would be great. Thanks. :)

Hi Jay, welcome! The ES 300 is a very wise choice! :D Try doing a search on these forums as there are many write up's for the information you are looking for. Here are a few quick suggestions:

- Make sure the car(s) your considering with higher milage have been well maintained regularly with proof of maintenance from the previous owner(s).

- Generally speaking, the body of a car should give out before the engine does if properly looked after, so in a nut shell......milage doesn't mean much as long as the car has been "properly maintained" and not abused. If the mechanicals are in good shape, chances are good the body is too :) Having said that, it's not uncommon to see these cars with over 400,000 miles & still going strong! (maintenance :whistles: )

- Make sure the dealer / seller is willing to let you take the car to your mechanic (if you don't have a good reliable one, ask friends or family to suggest possibilities). If they don't want you to take it to have the car checked out, find yourself another car! ;)

- Have the mechanic look at the body condition too while he/she has it on the hoist......perhaps it's been in an accident & many times there will be paint overspray. Don't write off a vehicle that's been in a minor collision......but insure it has been repaired up to safety standards & quality work has been performed. Mention anything to your mechanic if you hear any strange noises, smells & test all electrical equipment during your test drive (power windows, locks, stereo system, sunroof, power seats, air conditioning/heater, lights etc). Inspect under the car for leaks & check all vital fluids & see if all 4 tires are the same (brand, model of tire & size....check for uneven wear). Take the car for a good 30 or so minute test drive! See how it performs on the highway as well.

There are many more things to be sure (suspension, brakes, battery, exhaust, rad & the like), but this should give you a good start when checking out a possible car & should provide you with an idea as to how the car has been cared for over the years. As I mentioned, do a search on here & see what other members have recommended as well. If you have any suspicions, walk away. Good Luck! B)

:cheers:

any 92-93 owner will disagree with me but i would not buy one. They are a problem engine car that is over 10 years since it was retired. They have cooling system problems which cause the heads to warp among other thing. Also missing dual airbags and a few other things . A 94 and up is a much better buy for the money since it requires less maintance and costly ones at that.

Not a bad suggestion sk! :) What are the 94's going for in your area Jay? Something to consider as they did have a couple model years to get any so called "bugs" out of the car & make some improvements. B)

:cheers: