Toyota Question

VBdenny

I just bought this 99 Corolla for my daughter. Althought the stereo has a button on it that says CD, it has only a place to insert a tape. Imagine that, did they still make tapes in 99? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows if I can get something that plugs in to play CD's (since I threw all my tapes away years ago).

I know this is a Lexus site, but I went to toyotaownersclub.com and let me tell you, it is no where even close to here and quite disappointing actually. Knowing all you Lexus dudes and dudettes, one of you must know something about Toyotas.

I was also kind of wondering if I can put larger rims (since this has 14") from a Camry or something on this Corolla?

I pop a picture of the unit in the Misc. Gallery.

Thanks

VBdenny

Well sorry, no pictures in the gallery since it doesn't work. Asked me for my login and password, then told me it was invalid? I WAS logged in?

Maybe it's time to go to bed.

denny

Sounds like a radio similar to the one in my wife's 98 camry. Check the back for a 12-pin data port - it is activated by the CD button on the radio. A variety of CD changers are available. If the Corolla has a little storage box under the radio like our Camry, it can be replaced by a one or three disk in-dash Toyota CD or remote 6-CD changers are available. Also interface cables are available to hook up additional devices such as an MP3 player, satelite radio, DVD player, etc.

I purchased a "SOUNDGATE DOCKTOYOV2 DOCKING CABLE FOR 98-04 TOYOTA" from www.Electrogalaxy.com for about $14 not including shipping - it has a toggle switch for three devices. Using this cable to hook up additional devices requires also buying actual interface harness ($30 - $50 from various companies) that includes RCA jacks. I bought the docking cable solely to get access to pin 4 in the 12-pin data port and I did not add either a CD player or other devices. Pin 4 is the mute pin and, using the wire on the docking cable, I hooked it to our Nokia phone car kit in order to mute the radio when a phone call is made or received. Of course you don't need a docking cable just to add a CD player - it should be "plug and play" - very easy. According to the docking cable instructions, you can only add additional devices if a CD player is installed.

hey denny,

you might have to be carefull about putting bigger wheels on the corolla, due to the fact that the wheel wells on the carolla are so very small.

you might be able to step up one size like you were saying, i would measure first, b/f you shell out the $$ for the bigger toyota wheel. ;)

good luck

Thanks guys,

So you think if I took this car over to circuit city or something that they could hook me up with a CD player? It does have the storage tray under the radio.

I looked up tires on tirerack.com and according to what they say, I can put 195/45R-16 on this car. ABout $850 for the wheels and tires. Maybe I'll just leave them alone for now as the Michelins on it only have 10K miles on them, it's just that I hate small tires.

I do appreciate the feedback.

Denny

Hi Denny!

I did some Internet research a few months ago and found lots of places that sell Toyota CD placers (both single CD and the ones that hold three CD's) fairly inexpensively. I just now did a quick Froogle search and found an OEM single CD player for $195 and a non-OEM compatible 6-CD changer for $211. Back a few months ago I think I found an OEM 3-CD changer that mounts under the radio for less than $300. Personally I like the indash 3-CD changers since there is no work to run cables to mount the changer remotely and it is easy to access the CD's. You might even find one at a salvage yard. We have not bought a changer for the Camry since my wife mainly likes to listen to NPR on the radio to and from work and we don't use the car for trips - we always drive the LS which has a Nakamichi/CD system.

The radio on our 98 Camry can be removed in about three minutes (held in place by three easily accessible bolts) so I'd bet you could install an OEM single or 3-CD changer in your Corolla (if it has the 12 pin port!) in just a few minutes more.

Let me know if you need any help.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I was planning to go out to the junkyard this weekend anyway. Do you think Camry radios are the same as Corolla's? I was going to look and then if I can't find one (they are $20 at U-Wrench-It) I'll drop a few bucks for a new one.

My daughter said she really needs a CD player. Since I also like it, it will be a go. The tires can wait and I'll probably put 4 snow tires on in the fall anyway since she is in Blacksburg where it snows a lot.

Denny

Denny,

Here is a picture of the exact radio that is in our 98 Camry:

http://www.partydown.com/items/item358.htm

Does the one in your Corolla look anything like it? It looks like a standard DIN so I would guess that the same radios were used in lots of Toyota models. The indash CD player would go just below it and replace the little storage bin. The radio in our Camry was an upgrade unit and it has a separate amplifier behind the glove compartment.

Partydown.com has OEM single CD units for about $190 and 6-CD changes for about $300. I've seen the 3-CD indash changers elsewhere on the Internet.

If your Corolla has press on plastic trim around the radio like our Camry, it is fairly fragile. The best tool I've found to use to remove it is a putty knive well taped with electrical tape. Gently work around the trim and it will pop off if it is like the Camry.

Jim

Denny,

There is a in-dash CD play for $160 at

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pKyToUY9Ah7/c...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I did a search when I got home and didn't see any in-dash 3-CD changers although the Toyota dealer sells them for a rather high price.

I was having a "brain cramp" when I said our Camry's single DIN radio was held in place by three bolts - it is held in place by four bolts.

Jim

JIm,

That is also the exact radio in the Corolla. Do you have a CD player pluges into it?

I'm going to look in the junkyard tomorrow norning and see if I can find one that has a CD. I might be able to since they have about 200 camrys and corollas in there. If not, I'll probably buy one off the net. According to what I have found, any radio from 93 to 2003 should fit. I'm looking at the site you mentioned.

Thanks yall

Denny

Hey Denny,

No we don't have a CD player in the Camry.

Things to watch out for!!!

If you buy a whole new radio and CD (like the "double DIN" Toyota system) be sure that the connections on the back are compatible with the harness in your Corolla - or you may be looking for conversion cables. I assume that, since you have the same radio as ours, that yours also has an amplifier under the dash - ours is on the firewall behind the glove compartment.

I have no idea of the double-DIN Toyota radio/tape/CD systems used the same amplifier and harness.

I suggest that you spend a few minutes to remove the current radio and look at the harness plugs and see if there is a separate amplifier.

Happy hunting!

Jim

I'll do that Jim

Not sure exactly how to pull it, but it doesn't look too hard. I'll assume that Toyota uses the same type of snap-in clip that Lexus uses. You brought another question to mind. If I find one with a CD, does it have the security code? I've never disconnected the battery on the car.

Denny

Hi Denny,

I doubt if any Toyota radios have a security code but I really don't know. I don't see any mention of a security code in our Camry owners manual. Now that I think about it, the radio/climate control module on my previous and current LS are also held in place by four 10mm bolts just like the radio on our Camry. But the radio in the Camry is far, far easier to remove than the radio/climate module in an LS. Like I said, I can probably remove the radio from the Camry in three minutes but it probably takes 10 minutes to do it in the LS since I have to remove the console/ashtray and the center air vent in the LS.

You could always look for a single or 3-CD player to plug into your Corolla radio's 12-pin CD port rather than buy a double-DIN radio with the built-in single CD player. But who knows which would be cheaper at a salvage yard. The in-dash 3-CD player uses a cartridge - I've never actually seen one. Like I said earlier, the trim surrounding the radio in our Camry is rather fragile - the ashtray and auxillary 12-volt port are part of the surround. It pops out easily, exposing the four 10mm bolts, if I carefully work my way around the parimeter with a taped putty knive - but I don't know what the trim looks like in a Corolla - unless I make a "midnight raid" with a flashlight and look at my neighbor's Corolla parked two doors down!

Denny, it's always enjoyable to hear from you. Take care.

Jim