Ok - I Am Stupid - Help -

ccbowen

2003 rx300 would not start. Narrowed down to battery, alternator or starter. starter not even a whir. took battery and was told was bad. bought new battery. and. this is where I lost my mind (while it looked the same) anodes where reversed - so I installed backwards. horn blows LOUD. Saw my mistake and removed. Picked up correct battery this morning. Now. Gear will not leave park. No lights come on dash. there is the beep beep that key is ignition. Clueless. Need at least to get to neutral to get towed to local garage. local starter / alternator rebuilder on standby once we figure out which is the problem. thank you. from STUPID

At the top left of the shift plate just above the "p" for park there is a little slot, take a small screw driver and insert it into the slot and it will release your park lock and you will be able to shift to neutral.

Hopefully you only blew a fuseable link. The alternator diodes may have also blown.

Thank you very much. Will go try it. Now - is this an electrical problem of my stupidity on the battery or mechanical (perhaps both electrical leading to the lock up). This has never happened before. as concerns no electrical working (dash, radio, etc etc) is there a MAIN fuse that would have blown? I appreciate you. Chris

There is a main fuseable link, I hope it blew and protected your electronics....There are three fuseable links....Those are Alternator 140A fuse link, AM2 20A fuse link, and Main fuse 50A....I wish you luck. If the alternator link didn't blow than the diodes in the alternator may have been fried. Once they get the car running that will be an easy check....

Alternator fuse 140amp Fuseable link

AM2 20 amp fuse going to ignition

Main fuse 50 amp going to starter relay

The fuse box is located behind the battery on top of the left fender well area under the hood. AM2 is number 15 and Main fuse is #18

By the way your original problem could well have been a bad battery, if not than the starter contacts in the starter could have been bad. But with no noise whatsoever the starter solenoid or starter fuse or starter itself could have died. The starter is easy to change on this vehicle, all from the top....Would take a normal mechanic less than 1 hours to remove and replace.

Man do I appreciate you. Blown alternator 140 amp fuse $20 (took me forever to do and butchered a bit of the plastic housing but fixed with gorilla heat tape. from Lexus and blown $1.00 20amp ignition fuse. cranks great. gear moves freely from park. THANK YOU. I figure I blew the 140 amp alternator fuse due to being a dumb !Removed! - lol. what would cause the ignition fuse to blow - take to mechanic to check for - what???? THANK YOU.

Starts and runs fine - just went to local mechanic and hooked up to tester. alternator not charging at all (guess that's why battery died). ordered rebuilt one - will be here in the morning ($154) from Napa - and I will replace. AC and Radio not working - will check those fuses after I get alternator put in. THANK YOU!!!!!!

• 4 years later...

I have the same issue, with my 08 lexus es350. Jumped it backwards and blew many fuses, which I replaced except a 140Alt---30st fusible link. My car doesn't start . My worries are about the power accessories in the car like, audio/navigation system and all power related accessories.

After you managed to start the car, did you fix your electronics in the car?

Thanks much  ☺☺