Key Programming Worked For Remote But Not To Start

vassiton

I did the programming steps and car responded correctly, saying it added my new key. The key remote now does unlock and lock the doors. The new key also will turn in the ignition. The new key, however, will not start the car. It just turns the ignition over and over. I assume the engine lockout mode is in effect for this key. The original key starts the car just fine. Is there a separate procedure for adding/programming a new key or do I have a bad/wrong transponder?

As far as I know there is no separate way to program the key to lock/unlock the doors and to get it to start. It's just one procedure which the attached pdf outlines. The OP stated that he has an original preprogrammed key. If its not working I would just program it all over again or make sure that you have room in the system to add another key. Maybe all 10 spots are filled up and you might have to delete some of the keys in the system.

When I replaced a lost key with a replacement I purchased from Sewell, I had to perform two different key programming procedures.

One procedure is for programming the buttons for keyless entry. The other is for programming the transponder/immobilizer.

For comparison and clarity, I have attached both procedures for programming the key. These apply to '98 and up LS400's.

key programming.pdf

keyless entry programming.pdf

• Like 1

when I replaced a broken 3 button key for my 1999 LS400, I had to buy a key like this..

and replace the inside works from the broken key into the new key and that included the CHIP that contacts the START immobilizer.

then the car started.

post-5365-0-62190800-1407701270_thumb.jp

When I replaced a lost key with a replacement I purchased from Sewell, I had to perform two different key programming procedures.

One procedure is for programming the buttons for keyless entry. The other is for programming the transponder/immobilizer.

For comparison and clarity, I have attached both procedures for programming the key. These apply to '98 and up LS400's.

You are indeed right Paul.I found my program instruction from when I bought an eBay key a couple of years ago and it has both procedures but it's just in one document. The OP probably just programmed the remote and not the key.

Thanks guys for the help. I had seen a website with the brake/gas pedal procedure but it was in Russia and I didn't want to try it without some verification. I used the power door lock procedure from the Toyota technical bulletin which apparently just programs the remote. I'll try the other procedure when I get back to Texas. (I'm a truck driver.)