Intermittent Airbag Warning Light - Service Bulletin 282827

I started this thread because I searched the Forum and found nothing on this matter.

I am the original owner of a 2007 LS460 with under 36K miles. Recently, my SRS (Airbag) warning light came on, but after I restarted the car it went off. However, shortly thereafter it came back on again, but it went off after I restarted the car. The last time it came on it stayed on. So I brought it in to the dealer 2 weeks ago to diagnose it. They provided me with a service loaner ES350 and I'm still waiting for their decision as to what, if anything, they will do.

I discovered that on January 13, 2010, Lexus issued Service Bulletin Number 282827 in response to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) Action Number 10033557. Here is the Summary: "Lexus supplemental restraint systems. Some model vehicles may exhibit an srs light on condition with dtc b1861 and/or b1866. After confirming the vehicle condition matches the bulletin, it will direct you to replace the instrument panel."

It appears that my LS460 matches that bulletin. Note that this is a Service Bulletin and NOT a recall, notwithstanding the fact that it pertains to a safety system, namely, SRS - the supplemental restraint system (airbags). My Service Adviser told me that because Lexus has not received enough complaints this matter has not been escalated to the level of a recall. He did not tell me how many complaints were received.

The airbag warranty is for 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. Because my car is out of warranty (time, not mileage), my Service Adviser requested a courtesy repair from Lexus for the following reasons: (1) I purchased 2 brand new vehicles from this dealer (LS460 and RX350); (2) both vehicles have been serviced by the book; and (3) my LS460 has under 36K miles.

I would like to know if any other LS460 owners have experienced a similar intermittent airbag warning light and, if so, how that was resolved. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Stuart

• 5 years later...

I own a Lexus LS460 year 2007, and recently come across this problem (fault code BT1861 knee airbag squib circuit). I wonder the replacement of the instrument panel (with the SRS unit) will help to resolve this issue?