Where Is The Pioneer Amplifier Located?

flanker271

Hello folks,

Just got myself a 92 LS400 radio deck. Before I do the installation, I need to find out if the previous owner (he installed the aftermarket radio on my LS) had the original Pioneer amplifier removed. According to other posts, I learned that the amplifier is located under the front passenger seat...is this correct?

Well, today I moved the front passenger seat all the way forward and peeked under it. I can't see the amplifier :wacko: I reached under the seat....I can't feel anything shaped like the amplifier :(

Am I looking at the right location? My 92 (before aftermarket radio) should come with a Pioneer cassette system. Also, some sites mentioned that Nakamichi LS400's have their amplifiers located in a different location, under the CD changer. I'm just confused where is the exact location of the amplifier on a Pioneer equipped LS400? :blink:

Flanker271 the original Pioneer amp is or was located in the left upper corner of the trunk next to the gas tank. Best to remove the panel covering the gas tank to access the location. About 5 screws on top and three screws on the bottom of the panel. I also have a '92 LS400 that originally came with a Pioneer headunit that had no cd controls or cd changer. With the help of "Pioneersuby" I was able to install a '92 LS400 Nakamichi headunit with cd changer controls, a Lexus cd changer, Nakamichi amp, Nakamichi subwoofer and a custom cd changer cable. Their were numerous Lexus LS400 headunits and they are NOT all interchangable. While your in the trunk check the right side panel under the first aide kit to see if their is a cd changer or an opening where the cd changer used to be. This will tell you if your LS400 originally came with or without a cd changer.

I have the nakamichi system in my 91, but i know that there is a small amp mounted to the back wall of the trunk and an amp located under the cd changer.

Amp under the cd changer removal instructions

The link above is from carstereohelp.com, the instructions are to remove the cd changer, but the amp is below. The amp beside the gas tank is accessed by removing the screws along the top of the back fabric trunk liner.

I dont know if the amp locations are the same for the pioneer system.

Hey there 91ls400:

This amp below the cd changer, might it affect the sound to the speakers as well? Only the right door speaker works on my 91ls400.

I took apart the driver door and checked the speaker, and it is no good and then I tried the connection and nothing happens. So I am thinking there is no power going to the other door speakers.

thanks

LinuxFan,

Interesting that you have mentioned this, my front speakers are the only ones that work in my LS. I have heard complaints about the Nakamichi (if you have them) speakers blowing out before. I plan to look at the amp this weekend, I was told that the connections might have corroded over the years.

not mayn probs with nakamichi while pioneer users usually have much more problems. make sure that your speakers are dead completely e.i there is no hissing from them when the volume is pretty high. if there is no hissing then check cables from amp to the speaker with the tester and check wires and amp for visible water damage.