Returnguru

Rx330 Passenger Side Mirror - Recall? Discolored

I have an '04 RX330 that seems to have something in common with 75% of the RX 330s on the road today. The passenger side mirror is discolored with an amber fluid.

Yes I know what it is. Somewhere the seal was broken and the fluid which is used to defrost the mirror is either leaking or has been compromised. The local dealer would like to charge me $585 for a new piece of glass. Thank you... no thank you.

My question is, why has Lexus not recognized this as a systemic problem with this vehicle. Seriously 3 out of 4 RX330s you drive by have this problem with the passenger side mirror. How many vehicle need to have this problem before a recall is issued or considered?

I called Lexus and was advised that they have no advisory or memos of this as a problem. I hope that call "was recorded for quality assurance purposes."

How many folks have this problem? Speak up...

Have you had any success with getting Lexus or the dealer to fix this problem at a cost less than highway robbery?

I don't think there is fluid to heat the glass, but an electric heating element. It's probably rust - do you live in an area where they salt the roads in the winter? How about some photos?

Our 9 year-old RX has no such issue, so Maseace may have something, there, as there is very little moisture in our part of the country.

As I stated in another post - in my area (New England) 8 of 10 rx330 vehicles have a discolored passenger side mirror. This is a systemic problem and Lexus I suspect will eventually recognize it. There absolutly is fluid between the layers of glass as I tried to drain it out. Not very successfully btw. Nasty stuff almost like oil.

The solution was a stick on mirror from Amazon which cost about $8.

How about your passenger side dashboard... do you have a crack in it? They have finally stated these will be fixed by Lexus.

My 2004 ES330 has this problem. When it is cold, the driver side mirror discolors. Not sure why but it seems to have cleared up on it's own and I know better than that. Obviously a defect in the manufacturing process.

As I stated in another post - in my area (New England) 8 of 10 rx330 vehicles have a discolored passenger side mirror. This is a systemic problem and Lexus I suspect will eventually recognize it. There absolutly is fluid between the layers of glass as I tried to drain it out. Not very successfully btw. Nasty stuff almost like oil.

The solution was a stick on mirror from Amazon which cost about $8.

How about your passenger side dashboard... do you have a crack in it? They have finally stated these will be fixed by Lexus.

My 04 RX330 doesn't have the mirror problem, but it's always been in hot dry climates.

The dash, however, has three cracks on the passenger side, each about 1.5 inches long. I took the car into the dealer today for the 90K service (holy crap that's expensive!!!) and they agreed that my dash would be covered. They took photos and will order the parts.

We have a 2004 RX330

with regards to colder temps as a cause to the fluid leaking from the Mirror,

I think not

we live in Phoenix and the leak has just happened the week of Sept 26

Yes, same problem. Passenger side mirror discoloration. However, driver side mirror is fine. I think the passenger side mirror is defective. This should be covered in a recall! They want over 600 hundred to replace it! 

I never got any satisfaction from Lexus.  I actually started taking pictures of every 330 I could find and 95% of them had this problem with the passenger side view mirror.  Quite disappointing.  I eventually got a stick on replacement at Amazon for less than $10.  It was not heated but it did the trick.

Thanks for the reply. I looked for stick on mirror on Amazon and only found blind spot mirrors. Do you have the name of the product? I'd love to replace my mirror with a stick on instead of the pricey repair!

kelly

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

The fluid is not used for defrost. It is part of the auto dimming feature of your mirrors.