Silverstars

hern

I want to get silverstars to replace the halogens I have now. What part number do I need to get for the bulbs, and where can I purchase silverstars? They look great on your cars, and I'd like to get them. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

I just replaced the low beam lamps on my '92 SC400 with Sylvania SilverStar Hologens (see link below), the results were a pretty good improvement - it's basically the best non-HID lamp available right now. You can do an Internet search on Google ( http://www.google.com/ ) for more info. about auto lighting in general or do a search in this forum.

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/

What year is your car, hern? If it is 92-96, you can go to autozone (even walmart) and find the correct bulbs. The lows take the 9006 bulb. The highs take the 9005 bulb. Thats all there is to it! Installation is a breeze too. Good luck.

9005 Low

9006 High

Replacement is really easy. I just swapped out my old "cool Blue" Sylvanias for a set of Silverstars and it made a big difference. I agree w/ Jimbostar in that they are definitely the best non HID lamps out there, and they are from a reliable company as opposed to those eBay crap lights that burn out in 6 months.

I bought mine at Advanced Auto, but most of the big auto parts chain stores carry them as well as Wal-Mart & K-Mart.

1999 ES: according to Sylvania.com automotive lamp guide.

Low beam headlamp

Part number = H7

Upgrade Part Number = H7ST

Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade - Whitest, Brightest, 100% Street Legal

Upgrade Part Number = H7CB

Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade - White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

High beam headlamp

Part number = 9005

Upgrade Part Number = 9005ST

Silverstar High Performance Halogen Upgrade - Whitest, Brightest, 100% Street Legal

Upgrade Part Number = 9005CB

Fog/Driving light

Part number = H3-55W

Upgrade Part Number = H3ST

If you do the headlights.......match your fog bulbs too. :whistles:

Life is all about color coordination.

steviej

1999 ES: according to Sylvania.com automotive lamp guide.

Low beam headlamp

Part number = H7

Upgrade Part Number = H7ST

Upgrade Part Number = H7CB

High beam headlamp

Part number = 9005

Upgrade Part Number = 9005ST

Upgrade Part Number = 9005CB

Fog/Driving light

Part number = H3-55W

Upgrade Part Number = H3ST

If you do the headlights.......match your fog bulbs too. :whistles:

Life is all about color coordination.

steviej

Steve,

I guess for 98 ES300 also same specifications or specifications might vary ? Since 2nd Gen started since 97. Please Clarify if it makes sense. Thanks.

Could I take them somewhere to be installed or would I need todo it myself?

It's really not that difficult to install yourself. To take out your old bulbs, open the hood, and look for the electrical connection that provides power to the low beam bulbs (it contains red and black wiring). Carefully pull/disconnect the connection from the bulb (you may want to keep a clean towel handy to clean off any dirt/grime from the electrical connection). Then you will see that the back of the low beam bulb resembles an elbow-shaped frame. The bulb is locked into place by a twist, so you must remove the low beam bulb by grabbing and twisting the elbow-shaped frame in one direction (it's either clockwise or counter, but you'll find out there's only way to twist).

Put your old bulbs aside, and have your new ones ready. Reverse the removal steps here for installation, but make sure you do NOT touch the glass part of the bulb with your fingers; you will risk a blowout to the bulb. For added safety, wear clean rubber gloves for the installation process. Entire process took me 15 minutes for my previous '96 ES. Good luck.

Once you get the knack of it, you can change bulbs in under 30 seconds/side. I installed a new pair of Silverstars on my '96 last week (one burned out, and the other wasn't as white--my original pair was from from 2 years ago when they first came out and weren't sold as color matched pairs--I remember spending 20 minutes trying to match bulbs in the store). Unsnap the harness, figure out which way to do the 1/4 turn, and repeat in reverse--done :) I did this by handling them from the base at all times, and I was wearing clean medical gloves just in case I got careless and touched the glass.

Good luck. Once you figure out the trick, it's literally a less than 60 second job :)

Could I take them somewhere to be installed or would I need todo it myself?

It's really not that difficult to install yourself. To take out your old bulbs, open the hood, and look for the electrical connection that provides power to the low beam bulbs (it contains red and black wiring). Carefully pull/disconnect the connection from the bulb (you may want to keep a clean towel handy to clean off any dirt/grime from the electrical connection). Then you will see that the back of the low beam bulb resembles an elbow-shaped frame. The bulb is locked into place by a twist, so you must remove the low beam bulb by grabbing and twisting the elbow-shaped frame in one direction (it's either clockwise or counter, but you'll find out there's only way to twist).

Not quite!!!!!!!

His low beam bulbs are H7. This means there is a metal spring clip that has to swing out of the way. These are not like the 9005 or 9006 bulbs that twist. There is no twisting with H7 bulbs.

1. Remove the large black rubber boot that covers the back of the bulb. The wiring goes through this boot.

2. Pull the wire connector off the back of the bulb.

3. Look at the set up carefully, there is a large metal clip that is anchored on one end and just hooked under a retaining peg on the other end. Gently apply pressure towards the front of the car then down or up on the end of the clip to get it out from under the retainer peg.

4. Now swing that large clip out of the way and the bulb is now free.

5. Put this bulb aside (don't confuse it with the one going in).

6. Put the new bulb in place, swing the clip back towards the bulb. This clip applys pressure to the back of the bulb to keep it in place. You have to get the clip to hoop behind the peg again to keep it locked closed.

7. Replace the connector to the back of the bulb.

8. Slide the black boot back up the wiring toward the back of the bulb housing and slip the boot back in place. This may take some wiggling of the boot.

The high beam bulbs are 9005 and lexusk8's instructions are perfect for this type bulb.

steviej

I guess for 98 ES300 also same specifications or specifications might vary ? Since 2nd Gen started since 97. Please Clarify if it makes sense. Thanks.

try the lamp relacement guide yourself. Here is the link, just click on it, then plug in you make year and model.

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/carapp/

I can tell you that the 1998 and 1999 bulbs are the same.

steviej