Gaskets For Starter Replacement

tesponde

I am replacing the starter on my 91 LS400 in two days. I already have a good idea of the process and how painful it will be and have everything I need for it. However, the one thing that I am unclear on is which gaskets I will need before I start. I know if I break the seal I may as well replace the gaskets since they will likely wear out soon after. Can anyone help me with which gaskets I will need to replace during the process?

Tim, You are going to need intake and plenum gaskets for sure. You may want new rubber O-rings for the injectors as well. With the car being so old, it is going to be easy to break little plastic connector latches and hold-down devices. Replacing the starter is one of the more daunting tasks on the LS. I think it is harder than the timing belt. Just take your time, take a lot of pictures along the way, be gentle with connections and you should do fine. We broke several of the plastic latches on the fuel injector connectors getting them off but just plugged them back in as best we could and it still works. Not a big deal, IMO.

You might also want to thoroughly read this thread that I put together to document our experience doing our 92 LS400 starter replacement. Could save you some time and headache -> http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/79178-1992-starter-replacement/

I actually have my manifold off right now doing this job on my 98 which is a little different from your 91 because you have the EGR to deal with. I removed the manifold as one piece so I did not have to remove the fuel rails and deal with all of those extra pieces. If you remove the manifold in 1 pieces it would be nice to have a helper to lift it out since it is kind of heavy.

My manifold gaskets were in great shape so I cleaned them up and will be reusing them. I had to remove the coolant crossover pipe and will be replacing those 2 gaskets as well as changing the contacts in the starter instead of replacing. I have a friend that's a very competent mechanic/body guy that is straightening up the body for me so I can get it painted. When I got the starter out he tested it and it was not spinning so he took it and cleaned up the brushes and greased it and it worked. he said some moisture got into the starter since the 3 gaskets were worn out. I ordered the gaskets and contacts which I'm waiting on now.

In hindsight I believe this job is easier than a TB job since there are less parts to remove and if I had to do it again I could have the starter out in about 2 hours. Hey Landar I have not forgot about the Cam seal How-To I've just had a lot going on since then. Oh and those injector plugs are hard to get off so I just used used needle nose pliers with light pressure to unlock the tabs and just pull them off. I did not break any of the clips either I did snap one of the bolts that hold the throttle cable but I don't see that causing any issues.

quote " When I got the starter out he tested it and it was not spinning so he took it and cleaned up the brushes and greased it and it worked" .un-quote

we have repaired 2 of my 99LS's by just replacing the solenoid kit, and my helper (my nephew) said he has not had to replace any LS starters, just the solenoid contacts...

quote " When I got the starter out he tested it and it was not spinning so he took it and cleaned up the brushes and greased it and it worked" .un-quote

we have repaired 2 of my 99LS's by just replacing the solenoid kit, and my helper (my nephew) said he has not had to replace any LS starters, just the solenoid contacts...

Hey billy I'm actually basing my decision off of all your posts relating to starter repair. My friend just confirmed what you have been saying. If it does crap out later on the repair and down time will be much quicker and easier. Thanks.

Hey billy I'm actually basing my decision off of all your posts relating to starter repair. My friend just confirmed what you have been saying. If it does crap out later on the repair and down time will be much quicker and easier. Thanks.

mine was replaced 4 years ago today, 7/31/2010, and is still working...

post-5365-0-79782900-1406805077_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-49939000-1406805091_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-23708700-1406805104_thumb.jp

• 3 years later...

Found this info on https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/194735-ls400-starter-replacement-a-story-by-bdr.html

I added some info. I'm not sure about the Water Outlet Gasket.

Throttle Body Gasket 22271-50010
Intake Manifold Gasket 17171-50010, Qty 2
Air Surge Tank To Intake Manifold Gasket 17176-50020, Qty 4
Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Gasket
EGR Pipe Gasket 25634-50010
EGR Valve Gasket 25627-50010
Water Outlet Gasket for Rear Coolant Bridge 16341-50010, qty 2
Fuel Injector Insulator 23291-41010, qty 8

Updated to include part # for Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Gasket

Gaskets Ordered for Starter Replacement
Throttle Body Gasket 22271-50010
Intake Manifold Gasket 17171-50010, Qty 2
Air Surge Tank To Intake Manifold Gasket 17176-50020, Qty 4
Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve Gasket 22278-50010
EGR Pipe Gasket 25634-50010
EGR Valve Gasket 25627-50010
Water Outlet Gasket for Rear Coolant Bridge 16341-50010, qty 2
Fuel Injector Insulator 23291-41010, qty 8

If you're doing the Starter you may want to perform:

Parts Ordered For Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
Gasket, cylinder head cover 11213-50021 (qty 2) 
Gasket, spark plug tube 11193-15010 (qty 8)
Washer, seal 90210-07001 (qty 16)
Throttle body gasket 22271-50010 (qty 1)
PCV Valve 12204-50011 (qty 1)
Grommet, PCV Valve 90480-18001 (qty 1)
O-ring for oil dipstick 96711-19010 (qty 1)
FIPG, form in place gasket 00295-00103 (qty 1)

Parts Ordered For Starter, Distributor Cap & Rotor Replacement
Starter Denso 28100-50020-84
Distributor Cap 19101-50020 (qty 2)
Distributor Rotor 19102-50020 (qty 2)
Spark Plug Wires NGK
Spark Plugs: NGK G-Power BKR6EGP 7092 Platinum Alloy

Other Procedures

Check Throttle Body & Linkage, Cruise Control Cable

Clean injectors, clean intake parts, clean throttle body. 
Replace Battery Terminals Clamp (+)
Check Coolant Bleeder valve washer & clamp

Regarding the starter, you may not need to remove the rear coolant bridge if you have the correct flexhead 14mm wrench to remove the starter bolts. You may need to soak them with PB Blaster for an easy removal. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/194735-ls400-starter-replacement-a-story-by-bdr.html