Salavaged Title Question

OKSC3

Found a nice '95 SC300 Manual with 53k Miles on it, Silver (platinum) with black leather interior, Naka Stereo, ect... But as the title states, its a salvaged title.

They are asking right under $9000 for it, and it lists for 12,000 on the nada low side for a normal titled car in my area. So about $3k less than retail, is this a decent deal or should I be looking at another couple of grand less? Its a really sharp car, and I had planned on going the way of the dodo since I didn't want to spend around $10k on my next car for it cuts my budget thin on aftermarket upgrades, but the way I look at it is if the frame is straight and the body is clean I can N/A-T it like my last car and run the crap out of it.

Kyle

Ohhh yeah, its been salvaged since '98 (last 22k miles) so its been on the road for a few years... I sent an e-mail to the seller asking for specifics on damage (They probably won't have any) and if there is any sign of a jacked frame...

My feelings are if the car checks out and you're not concerned about having a salvage title when you go to sell it (it will be much harder to sell to someone with a salvage title), then it's not that big of a deal, but I definitely would not pay top dollar for it!

I just read something on salvage titles the other day. Supposedly, these are issued when a car is wrecked and totalled by the insurance company. If the car is repaired, and passes inspection, you can get a regular title. I'd look on your states DMV site for information on this. Of course the title history will always reflect this unless some dishonest person "washes" the title through a state that is slack.

I wouldn't pay more than 75% of the otherwise book value for the car as it will always be more difficult to sell. Not that they aren't any good, just not a desirable as a creampuff.

They don't scare me to bad, its not hard to get into a fender bender and do 60% or the value damage (or what ever your insurance company determines is totaled), and in that respect there probably isn't very many cars on the road that are 10 years old that haven't been bumped or tapped in some way.

And 75% dosen't sound bad...

did you look at the car? i was looking at 97 5 speed with a salvaged title and had pictures sent and well the exterior looked prety good but the dash didnt line up well with the pillars, it turns out that it was a tumbled car.

I sent him an e-mail asking for more pictures, I doubt they know what the damage was as it was fixed a few years ago, and they just got it from auction. If the panels all line up and the frame is in good condition I have no problem buying a car with a salvaged title. I just didn't know what the hit on a Lexus would be, most repaired salvaged cars are only worth 50% of thier normal value...

Every time there is a flood anywhere in the country there is a spate of flood totaled cars which spread out all over the country. They are subject to very bad electrical problems, bad odors, rust, and mold growth. Most of these effects take a pretty long time to appear, months to years, but when they start they are nearly impossible to defeat completely.

There are a bunch of Lexus/Bimmer/Benz's coming on the salvage market now from the floods last Sept. from hurricane Isabel in the Baltimore and Annapolis, MD area. You damn sure don't want one of them.

Yeah, it was damaged back in '98 so its been around the block a few times on the damage it has. I could care less about most of the runnings, if the frame is straight I can take it from there... I will just N/A-T it like my last car and boost it till she pops, I have a few cars sitting in the garage so I quit looking for daily drivers! hehe

• 3 weeks later...

Salavage titles are misleading because if the repair cost are higher than replacement cost the insurance co can total the car. There are states that can help you clear a savage title by titling it in that state then jumping it back to your state. If you jump title from Oh to PA and back the title will be clean for example. I guess what I'm trying to say is the more expensive the car the worst it can be wreck and fixed on a clear title.

If you are keeping the car forever, I wouldn't sweat it. However, if you're thinking temporary, it will be very difficult to sell.

In california, some insurance companies will not provide comprehensive insurance for the car. I'm not sure how it is in your state.

Cars which are theft recovery usuallly have electrical bugs.

If I were you, I'd wait for a first or second owner clean title vehicle. Why have the headache of trying to fix or resolve "gremlins."

Oh yeah, 9000k is pretty expensive for a salvage title no matter how many miles.

I'm not going to worry about getting a salvaged title, I bumped my budget up by about $3k, so I know I can find a good running car in the $11k area. That and I am getting a 400 instead of a 300 now. But thanks for the reply.

Kyle