Mirror Replacement

theazz

Part 87931 (RH) Mirror Only- $501.84

Much easier to buy a used mirror on ebay, and then just swap. That's what I did when I broke my driver's side mirror while adding my DIY Puddle lights.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-catalog/8701874586-Electrical-SC430-2003.html

It's a very special (and expensive) mirror. It contains fluid crystal that allows it to auto dim, and also has a heating element to allow defrost functionality. $500+, Ridiculous, I know. You can buy an aftermarket stick on mirror from Safelite for like $80, but it won't autodim. The defrost should still work with the Safelite stick on mirror, since the heat will still transfer through the mirrors. To go the Safelite route, you must have a mirror as a backing for the stick on replacement, though. That's why i recommended the ebay route to get the actual OEM mirror.

Have you owned your SC since new and know that the glass in one of the mirrors has not been replaced with aftermarket mirror glass?

Also, "electrochromic" automatic dimming exterior mirror glass tends to turn blue as they age and fail but usually the blue is usually blotchy and not even. Sections of the exterior mirror glasses on the 2000 LS400 I sold last Spring were starting to turn blue/blotchy.

The mirror glass is pretty easy to replace - takes a couple of minutes to pop out the old glass, unplug the connector from the old glass, plug the connector into the new glass and then snap the new mirror glass into place. I've done it twice.

I noticed mine are also two different hues (before breaking the driver's side) and I am the only owner of my car.. never replaced. One was more blue while other is more brown. Now with the used mirror replacing the driver, same thing. I don't (at this time or with my previous mirror) have any "blotches" as described earlier so maybe they are just made with different shades or are part of the autodimming feature?

Shawn

That's exactly what mine look like. Wish I had the bronze look in both. I've purchased a used passenger side mirror and hopefully the blotchy look will be gone. Also did you see my note to you about the led lamp numbers you used on your interior lights?

The azz

Shawn

That's exactly what mine look like. Wish I had the bronze look in both. I've purchased a used passenger side mirror and hopefully the blotchy look will be gone. Also did you see my note to you about the led lamp numbers you used on your interior lights?

The azz

Yes, I posted the list on the LED thread.