Is 350 Awd Feedback

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and was hoping to get some feedback or advice. I'm thinking of trading in later this year and considering a 2011-2013 IS350 AWD with automatic, xenons, and navigation.

Two of my biggest pet peeves are: 1) squeaks and rattles; and 2) unrefined transmission performance.

Can you give me a sense for how solid these are and if the automatic shifts smoothly? What are some of the weaknesses of these cars I should be aware of?

I'd be trading from a 2010 Acura TL, which has one of the most unrefined automatic transmissions in history.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mike

• 1 month later...

I can do that. A few weeks ago I bought an IS250 AWD. The AWD models come with a 6 speed shiftable automatic. The rear wheel drive cars have an 8 speed shiftable (I assume) transmission. Both have three modes, ECO NORM SPORT. If you buy the F Package, you also have a SUPER SPORT mode which is really a track setting.

Having owned several Lexus and Toyota cars, the transmission is everything I expected and maybe even a little more. When the car is in the SPORT mode, the transmission performs (automatically) exactly as you might when getting on it. Even blips rev matching downshifts, very impressive. Should you have the desire, select the manual mode and use the paddle shifters which are like those on my Logictech steering wheel for video games. I haven't played with it much as it tends to lead to aggressive driving and I'll wait until I'm someplace where there isn't anything around.

I drove the IS350 AWD F-sport and it is wicked fast. I thought that then I drove an IS250 AWD and decided that it was fast enough for me. The thing still rips but I I certainly don't expect to blow many doors off with the 2.5 Besides, I kind of like keeping my license clean.

I can do that. A few weeks ago I bought an IS250 AWD. The AWD models come with a 6 speed shiftable automatic. The rear wheel drive cars have an 8 speed shiftable (I assume) transmission. Both have three modes, ECO NORM SPORT. If you buy the F Package, you also have a SUPER SPORT mode which is really a track setting.

Having owned several Lexus and Toyota cars, the transmission is everything I expected and maybe even a little more. When the car is in the SPORT mode, the transmission performs (automatically) exactly as you might when getting on it. Even blips rev matching downshifts, very impressive. Should you have the desire, select the manual mode and use the paddle shifters which are like those on my Logictech steering wheel for video games. I haven't played with it much as it tends to lead to aggressive driving and I'll wait until I'm someplace where there isn't anything around.

I drove the IS350 AWD F-sport and it is wicked fast. I thought that then I drove an IS250 AWD and decided that it was fast enough for me. The thing still rips but I I certainly don't expect to blow many doors off with the 2.5 Besides, I kind of like keeping my license clean.

All 2nd Gen IS's had the 6 speed for the auto, other than the IS-F, which had the 8 speed. 3rd Gen RWD gets the 8 speed. I have a 250--but the paddle shifters are a waste of time--all they do is lock out gears above the gear you are in. So--if you are in 4th, you really have a 4 speed auto--it won't hold the car in 4th from down shifting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

VBDenny--Sport mode for the AT is *only* the ability to "manually" shift with the paddles or gear shift. It doesn't do anything else--there are no suspension settings, steering changes, etc. If you hit the "sport" button, it changes the AT shift points--which would not really work so well if you were manually shifting anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. Have there been opinions given of the 2014/2015 IS transmission? Is it as good as the previous model's? Also, does Lexus use XM or Sirius transponders (XM has better sound quality)?