Transmission Hesitation Problems ( Lexus Es300 2003)

I purchased a brand new 2003 ES300, and from the day I picked it up from my Lexus dealer I knew that there was a hesitation problem!

After countless times the dealer tried to reprogram the computer, but in every instance these updates didn't work to eliminate the problem.

I finally traded in this car that had under 20,000 miles for a 2007 ES350 and the transmission in this car did not have any problems.

So, I'm sorry to tell you that I can't give you a positive answer.

If you go back to 2004 forum responses that I posted in, you'll see how frustrated that I, as well as other members could never had positive results.

Here's a link to one of these pages: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/10805-would-you-buy-your-es330-again/page-2?hl=%2B2003+%2Bes300+%2Btransmission#entry67097

You could also look in Clublexus.com for further info.

Good luck. :whistles:

Aqil,

You don't give us the mileage on the car, but I'd bet its way past the maintenance schedule for a transmission flush, as recommended in the owner's manual. Start there. A complete tranny flush and filter change may be all that's required.

The next step, if that doesn't solve the issue, is to get to a dealeship and have the tranny computer reflashed with its software program. It may have become corrupted.

If you still don't get the results you need, get to a good mechanic who works on Toyota Camry's, as your ES is just a fancy Camry. He'll do the diagnosis and repairs cheaper than the Lexus dealer. The problem may simply be a corroded wiring connection to the tranny, or an internal solenoid may need replacing which requires the tranny pan to come off.

The answer is, try my first two suggestions, and if that doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to see a competent mechanic, and not necessarily a transmission shop. But that too may have to be your final stop. Good Luck!

Aqil,

You don't give us the mileage on the car, but I'd bet its way past the maintenance schedule for a transmission flush, as recommended in the owner's manual. Start there. A complete tranny flush and filter change may be all that's required.

The next step, if that doesn't solve the issue, is to get to a dealeship and have the tranny computer reflashed with its software program. It may have become corrupted.

If you still don't get the results you need, get to a good mechanic who works on Toyota Camry's, as your ES is just a fancy Camry. He'll do the diagnosis and repairs cheaper than the Lexus dealer. The problem may simply be a corroded wiring connection to the tranny, or an internal solenoid may need replacing which requires the tranny pan to come off.

The answer is, try my first two suggestions, and if that doesn't fix the problem, you'll need to see a competent mechanic, and not necessarily a transmission shop. But that too may have to be your final stop. Good Luck!

I think you failed to read my above post!!

This hesitation problem in this model car has NEVER been rectified by the Lexus Corp, even with constant reflashing of the tranny's computer! These updates were always a complete failure, so your advice is like beating a dead horse.

Here are some members posts back in May, 2003 Read them and weep:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/3584-02-06-transmission-hesitation-problems/

I purchased a brand new 2003 ES300, and from the day I picked it up from my Lexus dealer I knew that there was a hesitation problem!

After countless times the dealer tried to reprogram the computer, but in every instance these updates didn't work to eliminate the problem.

I finally traded in this car that had under 20,000 miles for a 2007 ES350 and the transmission in this car did not have any problems.

If you go back to 2004 forum responses that I posted in, you'll see how frustrated that I, as well as other members could never had positive results.

Here's a link to one of these pages: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/10805-would-you-buy-your-es330-again/page-2?hl=+2003++es300++transmission#entry67097

Hi , so you mean there is no benefits even for update !!

I went to our official dealership and they was out off idea regarding this issue

• 1 month later...

I purchased a 2003 ES 300 about a week ago...only 65k miles! Love the car and I rarely notice any hesitation problems. My Mom bought a 2005 ES 330 new (she has since traded it in for a 2013 ES 350) and that 2005 had horrible hesitation issues. We took it to the Lexus dealer for a regional service advisor to have a look. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and just flashed the ECU. I think the hesitation problems started in 2004 when Lexus introduced the ES 330 (3.3L engine vs. 3.0L for ES 300). The horsepower to torque ratio was way off. The ES 330 had 225hp and 240 Ibs-ft of torque @3600rpm as oppose to the ES 300's 210hp and 220 Ibs-ft of torque. From what I was told, the gap between HP and torque caused the car to kind of "jult" as if it was ready to take off and race when you accelerate from about 5mph. Also I was told it is the drive by wire throttle system that causes the issues. In 2006, Lexus adjusted the power of the ES 330 to 218hp and 236 Ibs-ft of torque possibly due to all of the complaints. I don't think it did much, but once the 3.5L engine was introduced in 2007 for the ES 350, the hesitation was no more. Bottom line is there really is no "fix" as to what you can do to get rid of the hesitation. I remember a service advisor telling me that instead of rolling through a stop sign at 5mph, actually stop so the computers/throttle can reset and there will be no hesitation. Or, you can always roll through the stop sign at 5mph and give it a few seconds then accelerate that should work, too. The car as a whole out weighs the hesitation issue I really like it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2014 at 2:26 AM, AJMAWI said:

HI , I HV LEXUS ES300 2003 AND I HV THIS Transmission hesitation problem CAN ANY ONE EXPLINE ME HOW TO SOLVE THIS PLZ

On 7/16/2014 at 7:50 AM, amf1932 said:

Here's a link to one of these pages: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/10805-would-you-buy-your-es330-again/page-2?hl=%2B2003+%2Bes300+%2Btransmission#entry67097

Have the same problem on my 03 es300,but got curious about tranny fluid, and sure enough,  the Lexus dealer had overfilled it about a pint, so I drained exactly a pint out from tranny plug and I can't believe the difference  in po pick up and overall response...still has a bit of a lag but you can blame that on the BS drive by wire, but if you want a more responsive ES , make sure tranny fluid is exactly up to spec's I know it sounds strange,but seriously, with this car ....what have you got to lose ???