Trunk Won't Close

Brenda1071

Brenda,

I've done car repairs for years and have come across the occasional trunk/rear tailgate latch problem myself. In most cases I've been able to test the latch, locking and unlocking, with the trunk open. It may work in your case, it may not.

First look at the round rod at the bumper where the trunk latch locks around. Choose an ordinary Phillips screw driver with a round shaft that is the same diameter or smaller than that round rod. Now look at the trunk latch. You should see that the slot in the latch that goes over the rod at the bumper is open and clear.

If it is, hold the screw driver handle with one hand and the end of the shaft in the other, and push the shaft up into the latch assembly hard, until the latch mechanism closes. Now try your dash trunk unlock button, or the one on the right side of the rear license plate to see if it will unlock by itself. Try this several times to free it up, and lubricate it with white lithium grease.

If you find that the latch assembly is closed, and won't open, (meaning you can't get the screw driver to slide up into the latch assembly because its in its locked position), then do the following. Shove the tip of the Phillips screwdriver through the slot between the latch hook and the top of the latch assembly. Then grab both ends of the screwdriver and yank it down out of the latch as someone pushes on the unlock button.

If non of this does the trick, you may need to get to a good mechanic who works on Toyota Camry's, etc. (cheaper than a Lexus dealership) and get him to see if there is a bad switch/fuse/wiring problem.

Sorry if the directions seem confusing but without pictures its difficult to put the procedure into words. Good Luck!

Brenda,

I've done car repairs for years and have come across the occasional trunk/rear tailgate latch problem myself. In most cases I've been able to test the latch, locking and unlocking, with the trunk open. It may work in your case, it may not.

First look at the round rod at the bumper where the trunk latch locks around. Choose an ordinary Phillips screw driver with a round shaft that is the same diameter or smaller than that round rod. Now look at the trunk latch. You should see that the slot in the latch that goes over the rod at the bumper is open and clear.

If it is, hold the screw driver handle with one hand and the end of the shaft in the other, and push the shaft up into the latch assembly hard, until the latch mechanism closes. Now try your dash trunk unlock button, or the one on the right side of the rear license plate to see if it will unlock by itself. Try this several times to free it up, and lubricate it with white lithium grease.

If you find that the latch assembly is closed, and won't open, (meaning you can't get the screw driver to slide up into the latch assembly because its in its locked position), then do the following. Shove the tip of the Phillips screwdriver through the slot between the latch hook and the top of the latch assembly. Then grab both ends of the screwdriver and yank it down out of the latch as someone pushes on the unlock button.

If non of this does the trick, you may need to get to a good mechanic who works on Toyota Camry's, etc. (cheaper than a Lexus dealership) and get him to see if there is a bad switch/fuse/wiring problem.

Sorry if the directions seem confusing but without pictures its difficult to put the procedure into words. Good Luck!

Brenda, I've done car repairs for years and have come across the occasional trunk/rear tailgate latch problem myself. In most cases I've been able to test the latch, locking and unlocking, with the trunk open. It may work in your case, it may not. First look at the round rod at the bumper where the trunk latch locks around. Choose an ordinary Phillips screw driver with a round shaft that is the same diameter or smaller than that round rod. Now look at the trunk latch. You should see that the slot in the latch that goes over the rod at the bumper is open and clear. If it is, hold the screw driver handle with one hand and the end of the shaft in the other, and push the shaft up into the latch assembly hard, until the latch mechanism closes. Now try your dash trunk unlock button, or the one on the right side of the rear license plate to see if it will unlock by itself. Try this several times to free it up, and lubricate it with white lithium grease. If you find that the latch assembly is closed, and won't open, (meaning you can't get the screw driver to slide up into the latch assembly because its in its locked position), then do the following. Shove the tip of the Phillips screwdriver through the slot between the latch hook and the top of the latch assembly. Then grab both ends of the screwdriver and yank it down out of the latch as someone pushes on the unlock button. If non of this does the trick, you may need to get to a good mechanic who works on Toyota Camry's, etc. (cheaper than a Lexus dealership) and get him to see if there is a bad switch/fuse/wiring problem. Sorry if the directions seem confusing but without pictures its difficult to put the procedure into words. Good Luck!

Brenda,

I'm assuming that you mean that the latch will not lock onto the locking rod at the base of the trunk when you close it. Did the latch lock when you forced the screwdriver into the latch? Could you then pull the screwdriver back down through the latch or did it stay locked until someone pushed the trunk switch?

If it did, then your problem is the locking rod at the base of the trunk is not aligned properly with the latch assembly in the trunk lid.

You need to pull the plastic trim piece across the back of the truck opening (where the locking rod peeks through) straight up and remove it. It'll pop right off from one side to the other. That locking rod will then either need to be moved right or left, forwards or backwards,(just loosen the two bolts holding it) or be shimmed up (place a couple of washers under it before the bolts are retightened. Obviously remove the bolts to get the washers placed.

Once the lock rod (can't think what else to call it) is properly aligned so the slot in the trunk lid latch closes over it properly, the rod should lock the latch automatically.

If you did the screwdriver in the latch trick and closed the latch, and then the trunk button opened it correctly, you don't have an electrical problem.

If you can manually lock that latch and then open it with the button, then you have either an alignment problem of the two parts (lock bar and latch), or a mechanical problem with the latch, meaning it'll need to be replaced. Get one from a wrecking yard as Lexus will want over a $100 for sure. Hope all of this makes sense.Good Luck.