Camshaft Oil Seal - Simple Question & A Wild A** Question.

threepwood

OTC 4754 Universal Pulley Holder

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4754-Universal-Pulley-Holder/dp/B000Q8GVPY

I used this to remove/install the crank harmonic balancer as well as the cam pulleys.

It comes with the different sized pins to remove both pulleys.

The holes on the cam pulleys are SO small like 8mm.

There is no way that some random 8mm bolts can take the 80+ ft/lbs to remove the bolt.

The pins included with the pulley set fit perfectly between the "spokes" of the pulleys allowing a much more firm grip on the pulley.

Trust me.

Here is a link to my thread with a picture of how I positioned the tool.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/81797-got-a-1995-ls400-172k-and-need-some-advice/?p=476013

Thanks.

I have found that they are an M8 x 1.25 thread and the reason that the bolts from my set would not go in is the threads are all caked up with hardened coked oil (probably from my leak). I took an M8 x 1.25 tap to them and all kinds of black crude came out, but now the bolts screw in easily by hand.

Thanks again.

Ok, new seal is installed. Unfortunately I am stuck trying to get the crankshaft fan belt pulley back on. Book shows a "special tool" and a hammer. Can't get it started to use a hammer, and since the "key" is 2/3 down the shaft I'm afraid I'll get it started and not be lined up with the key by the time I get it all the way on. I tried a hair dryer hoping to get it hot/larger than the shaft but that did not do it. Maybe the oven and welders gloves to put it on? Any suggestions?

So you got the new crank seal installed and it is seated in place but now you are having problems getting the crank pulley back onto the end of the crankshaft?

I always slide the crank pulley onto the shaft and wiggle it around the key until it "drops" in which verifies that the key is seated in the slot. If the crank pulley is not rather easily slipping onto the shaft, I would try cleaning the inside of the pulley hole with some steel wool or fine sandpaper. I suppose you could also put a little lube on it as well. I mean, it is not super loose but you should be able to wiggle it into place. There a stories of guys guessing on the key placement and they end of missing and mashing the key into the pulley where it is not meant to go. Not good. You are wise to be concerned.

FYI - Put pulley in home oven for 30 minutes at 200F. Went on by hand (using gloves ofcourse) slick and easy. Went on, hit key, rotate just a little and went completely down over key. No hammer, to tapping. This is definitely the way to do it. Car is back together and running. No leaks so far (10 miles). Thanks for all the help.

Very clever threepwood. I like that solution although I would have to sneak the pulley into the oven when my wife was not around. Thanks for posting the solution to your problem.