Rear Tailight

The bulb out warning for the rear deck came on; so I checked, and the passengers side rear tailight was out. I started look for a way to get into the bulbs and found what I thought to be screws, when they were actually just those plastic retainer things made to look like screws. After messing with those for a few minutes, I popped them out. I checked the bulb, and it was still good (dirty socket), then I went to put the retainers back in, but they won't hold. Are they just for a one-time use? Do I have to drive back to the dealer to get new ones (The Lexus dealer is an hour and a half away)? Thanks.

-Jake

P.S. BTW, whats the best thing to use to clean those electrical contacts? Thanks Again.

Those plastic retainer screws should be able to snap back into place. It's been a while since I toyed with those screws, but from my experience, the trick here is to pull the bottom "skirt" of the screw to one end, and squeeze and force the screw into the hole. It takes a little while to get used to the manipulation, but you should be able to get it.

there are 2 parts to the plastic retainer clip. unscrew the screw until it pops out but a little bit like an 1/8th to a 1/4 inch then holding the unscrewed part with ur fingers between the washer looking thing and the phillips looking head push the washer part into the hole until it clips in then like a 1/2 turn with phillips screw driver turn the head of the retainer clip. I had to do the same thing when some one hit my car and dented my bumper which in turn blew the bulb in the tail light. good luck it isn't hard unless the retainer clip breaks. and in case that happens go to auto parts store and go in the Help! section and look for a retainer clip that is similar, one of my retainer clips for the tail light access broke and i replaced mine with a honda made retainer clip and it worked just fine. I don't think getting the dealership involved is necessary. but maybe thats just me. I like doing my own repairs.