Speakers

davetruong

Well, I did it! I got a 2001 LX 470. Black/Grey on Brown/Tan. I have a question, why does the Mark Levinson System sound system sounds so horrible? I want to upgrade my system, any pointers.

Also, can anyone tell me the total number of speakers, location and the size? Thanks!

Dave -

I am curious as to what you feel is so bad about the sound of the Mark Levinson stereo? I have a 2002 LX470 with ML and I think its the best sounding unit I've had on any vehicle I've owned. Are your speakers blown? Just curious....

GlennR,

This is so weird... When I got the car the first day driving it (only at night) the system was really aweful, the mids were distorted, the bass was distorted and the treble was weak. Now, the system sounds alot better, but there is still distortion in the bass. Glenn, do you know what are the sizes of the speakers?

Just purchased my 2002 LX, so I don't know speaker sizes (or all the locations, for that matter!). Your post made me do some critical listening - my first assumption is that you have your EQ settings totally flat and the balance totally centered. I would take a CD that you are very familiar with and check each "side" of the speakers by panning extreme front left, then front right (which should sound very similar), same for the back. If there's a blown speaker, you'll hear it. There should be no difference in "night" listening. Also, turn off the ASL, which is an audio compressor, the quality of which is suspect.

I prefer to listen with the moonroof shade closed, which tends to give better stereo imaging (if you don't believe me, try it while listening - you'll be surprised!). Also, there must be a subwoofer somewhere, because there is a load of low end in this vehicle.

The EQ settings for Bass Mid and Treble have fairly substanial jumps for each progressive + or -, meaning it seems to me a little EQ goes a long way. I have found that leaving the Bass flat, ducking the Mids one or two detents and raising the Treble one detent, sounds very satisfying.