2003 Gx 470 Belt Tensioner Replacement?

mjones1160

I just received a Gates serpentine V-Belt replacement kit I purchased from RockAuto. It includes a new V-belt, belt tensioner and idler #2 pulley. I see that the belt tensioner bolt on the bottom appears to be blocked by the generator mount. Do I have to remove the generator just to replace the drive belt tensioner?
The parts diagram in the repair manual (CD) page 14-19 only shows a bolt and two nuts securing it. There are 4 holes for bolts on the new tensioner provided in the kit. There are no tensioner replacement instructions included or in the Lexus service manual. The radiator hose is already a pain to work around. Removing the generator to get to the lower bolt would be another added task.

It seems to this job easily, I would have to drain the coolant to remove the radiator hose as well. Is replacing the tensioner really necessary when the belt is changed. I am already second guessing the belt replacement as there are no major cracks in the belt, just minor age cracks with no chunks missing on the V-grooved side. The vehicle has 104,000 miles on it.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the belt tensioner, I'd have to replace mine. The belt screeches loudly when turning on the car(2004 model with ~160K miles) then goes away. Mechanic told me the tensioner is stuck. He helped me loosen it and spray a bit of WD40 on it. He told me there is a 50/50 chance if fixing it. Unfortunately issue has returned about couple of weeks so will have to get it replaced.

I am just curious. Do you have to remove the radiator to replace it? The area looks cramp so I suspect at the very least, the radiator fan has to be removed first. But if the radiator has to be removed, I am considering replacing the radiator for a small pin leak. If the radiator does not need removal, I could replace it when I do my 2nd timing belt change in a few years.

Mjones, did you eventually replace the tensioner or just the serpentine belt? If you did, did you remove the radiator?

I replaced by timing belt at about 106K and the dealer never replace my tensioner, just the serpentine belt In hindsight, I probably should have.