Problem With The Trunk Lid.

neezebeeze

So i have a problem with my trunk lid. It opens up but it doesnt go up. it just unlocks and i have to manually open it up. im not sure if its the strut since it stays open if i put it up. does anyone have the same problem or an idea of what it might be? thank you. its an 05 ls430 btw.

Hi Guys and welcome,

Looking through our data base the majority indicate the struts are the problem. They have probably lost there charge.

But one other point. Recently, I read some notes about not all LS versions have the automatic trunk opening feature. It would depend on the standard OEM features and the feature packages the original owner opt for, Just FYI

Below is a link to Lexus customer service. They may be able to help you with feature information.

Paul

http://www.lexus.com/contact/

I believe the trunk lid should just pop open a bit but not go up on its own. You have to 'help' it up to the fully open position. However, it should not take a lot of effort. If it does, then the gas struts are going bad. Another thing to check: with the trunk lid in the fully open position, just nudge it downward a bit. If it slams shut, the struts are shot. If it does not slam shut and, more importantly, does not slam shut on your head all on its own(like mine did), then the struts are ok.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you get the "extra force" struts from ebay, be aware that closing the trunk lid (from full open) also requires "extra force". BTW the trunk lid does not "spring up all the way up" with the extra force struts. USA made.