Front Bumper And Seats

After a couple of weeks with my new to me '99 SC400 I have a couple of things I would like to change.

There was a front license plate installed but the car just looks so good without it that I took it off. Now I have the two screw holes showing and two mars where too long bolts were used to attach the plate to the frame. Is there a common answer to this repair? I have seen something called a skin referred to. Is this a new plastic skin for the bumper and how much are they? Maybe an after market nose job? Who makes a good one?

The driver's seat seems pounded down some and the seating position is a little odd; turned to the left some. Are the seat pads interchangable? How do you get them loose to swap them if it is possible? (A related item, the left foot dead pedal seems too far forward. It is not co-planar with the accelerator and doesn't do its job. Is there a common answer to this?)

Don't know what to tell you about your dead pedal. Never had a problem with it myself. The seat base is removable, don't know where you'd find another though aside from in a junkyard or used. I might have put a seat teardown diagram in the misc. gallery. I'll check later and link it. Or you can go look for it. Not sure if I did or not, it was a long time ago I put some assy. diagrams in there. As far as your bumper, one option is to go to a good body shop and have them use a quality eqoxy or otherwise filler to fill the holes and blemishes. Then repaint to match. Otherwise, you'll have to replace and repaint to match.

I like the way the car looks without a front plate too (I was lucky enough to get one without the holder/holes) B) , but be forewarned, if your state requires a front plate be prepared to get 'no front plate' tickets - I just got one the other day :censored:

Also, it's a reason to get pulled over for, so I would make sure that everything else is on the up-and-up :whistles:

Also, it's a reason to get pulled over for, so I would make sure that everything else is on the up-and-up :whistles:

Translation: Don't bring your dope with ya. ;) Just kidding. :huh:

That's why I like kentucky. No front plate required. Probably the only reason I like Kentucky. Well that and no emissions laws. And... umm.... hmmm... <_<

A lot of 'vetts, etc. seem to get away with no front plates here in Maryland. I will carry the front plate in the trunk and whine if anybody complains. I may just try putting bolts in the holes and painting them with touch up paint.

On the seats I would like to just swap the seat pads, not the whole seat. In some cars the pads just lift up or have only one or two bolts holding them in. They seem identical and not different right and left.

This is a great list. Ain't the web great!

do you mean you are going to swap the entire left seat cushion for the right? are you intending to swap the leather as well, or just take the padding out and just swap that? (the flat part, not the upright seat back i assume)

i am interested as my drivers seat is also pounded down a bit. if it could be switched with the passenger side that would be an easy fix

You have to pull the entire seat out of the car in order to break it down. I would expect that you will have to modify the cushions in order for it to work, but it is a good idea. My scanner is busted. The factory service manuals tell you exactly how to do this. Basically, the seat is held down with 4 bolts. There are plastic covers over the bolts. 2 in front - move the seat all the way back - on the floor of the car, you'll see the caps. Pry them off, take out the bolts. Move the seat all the way forward now. Look down again. Take off the caps. Remove the bolts. Now pick your seat up. Hope you ate your wheaties. Especially on the driver side. As far as tear down. Look it over good. If you are mechanical at all - you will see how they come apart. Hardest part is getting the seat back recline handle off - if you even need to. Some guys pry carefully with a flathead. Others break it accidentally. If I get a chance, I will try to scan in the breakdown assy diagram. But I can not promise anything as far as that goes.