Inspection/quote/inquiry 1996 Ls400

Duex Lexi

I have a 1996 LS400. It has been driven 157,000 miles. When it was inspected the recommendations were to replace the lower left ball joint (340$), flush transmission, power steering, brake, coolant (570$) replace cabin, fuel, air filter (272$) Full tune up (Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotors- 870$). Are these prices fair? I would love to see your opinions, knowledge, and feedback.

Are you following the car's maintenance schedule? "Tune up" on a 96 LS400 is every 90K miles and involves only replacing the spark plugs. That "Tune up" price is completely ridiculous. The prices for the fluid changes are also extraordinarily high. Are the filters gold plated? The fuel filter is not a commonly replaced filter. Your transmission requires only a drain and refill - never a flush.

What kind of business are you dealing with?

When was the timing belt last changed? The change interval is every 90K miles or 6 years - whichever comes first.

I did not know the prices were so absurd. I was inspected by a place in New Haven, CT called East Rock Auto. After I paid and got my car back I notice the car had a rattling sound on the left side. I'm not driving the car until I bring it to the Lexus Dealership.

I only paid the inspection fee. No work was done to the car. The list of work was just a quote. I took it to the Lexus dealership and they did a thourough inspection.

Justin, welcome to the club.

I do not know your particular situation but if you would like to save some serious cash and develop a sense of accomplishment at the same time, I would highly recommend trying to tackle some of these items yourself. If you have the will, there is a way. There are lots of practical tutorials out there to guide you.

Is that even a consideration for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Those prices are ridiculous and I'm hoping the dealership did not try to bend you over more. Hopefully you got a good deal wherever you got the work done.