1996 Ls 400 Cyl 6 Not Firing Code

BarryHalls

I read some of the earlier postings from others that have had this issue. It appears the problem can be one or more of several problems. I just wanted so advise on where I should look next.

This is on a 1996 LS400, The car started idleing rough and had a strong fuel smell. I checked the codes and only one came back I believe P0306, cyl 6 not firing. Checked and then replaced plugs(NGR) and wires. Drove fine for a few miles and started again.

I figure I need to replace the cap and rotors next. I also need to see if any of the caps are leaking in my ECU. (not sure where that is exactly) I also read that it could be an injector. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

A single cylinder misfire is unusual as each distributor feeds 4 cylinders (2 on each bank).

One cylinder down wouldn't cause extremely rough idling.

I would check both coils as these are known for failure especially the driver's side one.

Welcome Scott.

Yes, I would begin by replacing caps/rotors as normal maintenance. A bad coil should not target one particular cylinder. However, you could swap the coils and see if the issue jumps to the other bank of cylinders. I also doubt that it is a bad injector because you DO get a strong fuel smell, meaning the injector is injecting fuel. I doubt it is ECU caps as that would affect more than one cylinder. Cap/rotor is the main suspect here.

Just got back in town and was wanting to get this knocked out. I have the caps and rotors and have started to replace them. I was looking to find a guide or maybe a diagram. I just don't want to make this harder or forget something etc. Thanks again for your help,

Put the crank at TDC with cams aligned(cam marks align every two revs of the crank). Then RH side rotor points to 9 o'clock and LH(drivers side) points to approx. 5:30. Verify all of this BEFORE you pull the existing rotors and put it back the same. You should be golden WRT the rotors.

There should be a tutorial on www.lexls.com for the caps and rotor replacement.

Indeed there is, Steve -> http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/distributor_rotor.html

However, I would never take off all of the stuff that the tutorial suggests. Sure it makes for easier access but what an added hassle. Different strokes for different mechanics, I guess.