3rd Brake Light - Bulb Replacement

Steiej is correct. I changed it on my 1996 es300 and I found that a small flat screwdriver helped with gently moving the cover forward about 1/4 inch. Then pulling the housing towards the front was much easier. Just don't use the window for leverage on the screwdriver!

Ed

• 1 month later...
:lol: Thank you for a quick and easy fix. Thought I'd have to go to the dealer and get raked for a light-bulb change. The hardest part was twisting the bulb housing back in. Someone told me I'd have to remove the seat and remove the dash, etc... thank you!

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to pull my 3rd brake light out too, and am having some difficulty. Does it take a really strong tug? It doesn't seem to budge.

For clarification, the clips are on the bottom of the light housing, correct? Then why do you pull towards the front of the car? Shouldn't you pull towards the roof?

I am confused :unsure:

PLEASE PLEASE HELP! My car is all apart cause I'm trying to replace the rear speakers. Can't get that damn brake light out of the way!!

Thanks,

Bryan

The housing comes straight off first. I had to use a screwdriver the first time..very easily now.

The clips or plastic studs are on the edge of the housing closest to you/seat. Once you pry it up about 1", you will then slide the complete housing toward the front of the car.

The hardest part for me was trying to connect the bulb to the power harness and then installing...It is hard since the harness is not that long.

I just went out to look at 5:24pm EST and that is how mine is on my 98.

I can take some pictures later if you need. My batteries are all died from my wedding yesterday.

Thanks man!

Actually, I ended up getting the door panel off first, and the Sony speakers I was putting in ended up being worse than stock, so I scrapped the whole "change speakers" idea. Thanks for the info though. I will still need to know that for when my bulbs inevitibly die sometime in the near future :P

Regards,

Bryan