2015 Rx350 19 Inch Tires

Have just purchased a 2015 RX350. Because we wanted the Navigation system, we were told we had to get the 19 inch tires. Asked if we could get the 18 inches put on and told no....Since driving we have noticed a rougher ride. Went back to the dealer and asked if we could possibly do a switch to the 18 inch, since we are unhappy with the ride....Dealer has not been very co-operative... Anyone else notice the difference in the ride between the 19 and 18 inch....

I would think the dealer would jump on that as they could market that as an upgrade on another vehicle. The bigger the wheel, the stiffer the sidewall construction on the tire, which equals worst ride.

IMHO, the ride difference is minor, even though I've only driven the current gen RX w/19's and found the ride quality to be fine on bumpy roads. These are not extremely low profile high speed rated summer tires as found on performance sedans or sports cars. Changing to 18's won't have as much impact as might be expected.

Check tire pressures first (cold) to see that they are at spec. Last resort is selecting another 19" tire that has reviews indicating better ride quality than current tires.

Hi Bobbi and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

As Lex-Sv said, there probably isn't as much difference in a smoother ride between a 19" and a 18". Howerver, there is a tremendus difference in tire brands. With my 2013 ES350, it came with Brigestone tires. I hated them. They produced lots of road noise and you felt every bump. My previous Lexus had Michlen Primacy tires. I loved them. So the dealer took the Bridgestone tires off and traded them for the Michelin tires,

If you haven't, go to "Tire Rack".com and look at the tires suggested for your RX. Consumer Reports also has good info on tires.

Paul

Paul do you remember which Bridgestones they were...I was seriously looking at the Ecopia...But in the past I too noticed that This brand tended to be noisy when worn....

Yes, it's specific tire that make a big difference (brand and model/type) in terms of ride quality and quietness. And some tires become noisy quicker with wear than others, another thing to watch for in reviews (such as Tire Rack reviews).

The dealership is not being unreasonable in refusing to swap 19's for 18's at no charge, it's not realistic to expect it after the sale and after use.

I would think the dealer would jump on that as they could market that as an upgrade on another vehicle. The bigger the wheel, the stiffer the sidewall construction on the tire, which equals worst ride.

No I don't good buddy. It's been a while and I had them take the Bridgestones off so soon I didn't have a chance to take the time to write things down. However, the last time I went through the dealers lot, many 2014's had Bridgestones were shiped in with Bridgestones.

My dealer took the position that sinse the Bridgestones were brand new coming off the ES, they would just sell them for another new ES since they were OEM, and make up the difference for Michelins by that transaction. By doing that, every one gets their wish and everyone walks away with no need for out of pocket cash.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hello,

A 'newbie' here.

I have a 2013 RX350 FWD. I will be buying tires SOOOOOOON. I have noticed a few of you have recommended to check with Tire Rack on recommended tires. I have/had done that. I even used 'chat'. The tire THEY are recommending for my RX is the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia. Supposedly best ride and best quiet ride???? My problem is that the tire rating for this tire is 105H. As some of you know the tire put on by Lexus is a 101V. The Bridgestone is a XL tire but the 'H' rating makes it slightly lower in speed rating. Lexus is not really endorsing putting on a lower speed rated tire. The reviews for the Bridgestone has been outstanding but.........how can Tire Rack recommend something that Lexus does not really endorse???

What have others of you done? have you gone with a different speed rated tire? If so, did the 'installer' not object?? I ask this last question because I was informed that most if not all installers will NOT put on a different rated tire from what is already on the vehicle?? unless it's higher?????

look forward to y'all answers.

Thanks

My RX400h has a 18 inch tire, and the installed Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia a V rated tire....Just did it today, very quiet, however the installer (Costco) warned about the softer rubber compound wearing poorly if your alignment is off. Tire is rated for 65k miles. we will see. The Yokohama Parada's were great tires, quiet, and very responsive and handled like glue in rain. They went 44 kmiles. not bad considering the OE tires were typically going less than 20k miles. I don't particularily like Costco, because of past experience when dealing with tires. The lugs were snugged up with air wrench and then he went around with the torque wrench, but I noticed that everytime he torqued a lug it immediately clicked...Hmmmmm was it overtorqued and then he went thru the motion of the torque wrench? Took it home and retorqued, nuts were definelty not at same torque on each wheel....

My RX400h has a 18 inch tire, and the installed Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia a V rated tire....Just did it today, very quiet, however the installer (Costco) warned about the softer rubber compound wearing poorly if your alignment is off. Tire is rated for 65k miles. we will see. The Yokohama Parada's were great tires, quiet, and very responsive and handled like glue in rain. They went 44 kmiles. not bad considering the OE tires were typically going less than 20k miles. I don't particularily like Costco, because of past experience when dealing with tires. The lugs were snugged up with air wrench and then he went around with the torque wrench, but I noticed that everytime he torqued a lug it immediately clicked...Hmmmmm was it overtorqued and then he went thru the motion of the torque wrench? Took it home and retorqued, nuts were definelty not at same torque on each wheel....

I am a bit confused on which tire you bought? Is it the 422 Ecopia? In either the 18" or 19" wheel the speed rating is "H"? not 'V'? According to the Bridgestone website and at the TireRack website that is the rating associated with the tire. I question this only because I too have been very interested in this tire (422 Ecopia). In fact TireRack recommended it for my '13' RX350. But due to the speed rating being 'H' this raises questions/issues. Lexus does not will not recommend going from a 'V' to a 'H'. So I am in a quandry as to what to do.

The H/L is not the rating, I just went on Bridgestone site and it specifically says it is a V rated tire (Bridgestone Dueller H/L 422 Ecopia)

I am not trying to be argumentative but maybe 'we' are looking at two different tires? I am looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. I 'thought' that was what you 'may' have bought? Maybe it is not? If it is the 422's at both the Bridgestone web site and at the TireRack web site the speed rating of that specific tire is 105H. It is not a V. And yes I know the H/L has nothing to do with the speed rating.

I am not trying to be argumentative but maybe 'we' are looking at two different tires? I am looking at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia. I 'thought' that was what you 'may' have bought? Maybe it is not? If it is the 422's at both the Bridgestone web site and at the TireRack web site the speed rating of that specific tire is 105H. It is not a V. And yes I know the H/L has nothing to do with the speed rating.

OK!!!!! I finally figured it out!!!!!! We are looking at two different tires......kinda sorta. My vehicle not being a hybrid and so not being as heavy (maybe that's the reason?) takes a different tire size. My tire is a 235x55x19 . In that size for whatever reason the speed rating is 105H . In other sizes, which a hybrid may/probably has, the tire for that vehicle (tire size) does come in a V . To me that makes no sense why but that is what I am stuck with. What a dilemma. I may have to go with the Pirelli's after all. dang.....................

Give me your exact tire size, because IT is the Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia that is v rated.....I tried to copy their site to here, but am blocked from doing so...sorry.

Ah, yes in your tire size you cant. I would be tempted to sell your wheels and tires to someone and maybe trade the 19 for 18 with someone.

Other option is try the Yokohama Parada X which is what I just took off. They are V rated and they were excellent tires, got 44k miles out of them and they were great in all conditions. Several of us on this site ran that tire. If it were me, I would look for a trade with some young person wanting that 19 inch wheel. There are a lot of 18 inch rim stock OE wheels for the Lexus RX400h on fleebay.....Then just sell yours.

• 11 months later...

Our 2011 RX 350 came with 19" rims and Michelin tires. It does not ride smooth and the tires are noisy along with some wind noise from the side windows. At 41,000 miles the tires are worn out and I decided to find out if others were having the same problems. A comon complaint with this car from those responding on the internet is the rough ride and not an exactly quiet ride either. Eigtht months ago I bought a new Chevy Equinox which came with 17" rims and Michelin tires. I am here to tell you that this ($25,000) car rides better and is noticeably quieter than the ($45,000) Lexus RX 350!

My wife says so too since she drivers the Lexus most of the time.

Here is what I did to make this a better car. I bought 4 refurbished 18" (factory original) rims on ebay from a company in Houston, $556 delivered to my front door. The rims look brand new.

I bought 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde, Season Plus 235/60 R18,103H on Amazon for $638 delivered. Tire Rack had these tires at the top of the rating chart based on customers response. Many Lexus owners have also praised these tires. If you go this route be sure you get the (Season Plus) version as the regular Pirelli Scorpion Verde are not as highly rated. Lastly I had the old tires removed along with the tire pressure sensing device and had the new rims, sensors and tires installed which included lifetime rotate and balancing. Air pressue set at 33 psi, Cost for this at Walmart was $67.36, Total price = $1261.36.

Result: My wife says the car rides smoother and is quieter. I have noticed the same thing too along with a less harsher jolt when going over bumps and patches and imperfections on the road, we have a lot of those here in Oklahom City. I am looking forward to a much longer tire life as well. If your car has 19" rims and the ride is rough and if it is bothering do what I did, you will be happy with the result and you might like your car again.

• Thanks 1

Great input, by the way sell the tires and rims on one of the available sites and recover probably half your cost. I feel the large rimmed wheels really have destroyed ride.

• Thanks 1

At 15,000 miles I replaced all 4 of the Bridgestones on my wife's '13 RAV4 Limited after one shredded. 235-50-18W Went to GoodYear tires and they ride very smooth, much better than factory tires.

BUT, several things about tires are incorporated into the ride quality. Pretty much ride, performance and handling is determined by the tires. H rated tires are rated to sustained speeds of 130MPH and that is one of the reasons they chip they vehicles at a certain speed. V rated tires are certified to 149mph while W and Z are way up there. Next is size, the larger the wheel, the lower the tire profile (aspect ratio) is reduced. Back in the old days, 78 series tires on 14" and 15" rims were standard. Many smaller vehicles came with 13" rims. Tire were skinny with huge sidewalls, bias ply or belted and really terrible.

Around the early 70's the transition to radial ply tires came to be and they rode smooth since the belts were placed in a diagonal pattern as opposed the the straight across method of bias ply. Handling on cars way increased but along with that came the expansion of rim sizes. as rim sizes grew, the aspect ratio dropped meaning less sidewall to cushion the ride.

Your car had some pretty aggressive tires but I would certainly assume that the engineers that designed the vehicle considered the tires in the suspension and handling. You might get a slightly better ride but I'd sure look at tires long before I considered dropping a size. Look online at discount and tirerack and the like and read the reviews on the tires. Pretty pathetic to admit but I usually spend 10 times more looking at tires than buying them.

Hope this helps

Denny

Result: My wife says the car rides smoother and is quieter. I have noticed the same thing too along with a less harsher jolt when going over bumps and patches and imperfections on the road, we have a lot of those here in Oklahom City. I am looking forward to a much longer tire life as well. If your car has 19" rims and the ride is rough and if it is bothering do what I did, you will be happy with the result and you might like your car again.

You could have even downsized to 17" wheels and 235/65-17 tires for an even more compliant ride and a still wider choice of even less expensive tires while keeping the speedometer accurate. 17" wheels were standard on the RX350 as recently as the 2009 model year.

The 5-spoke 2011-up 17" Toyota Sienna wheels look very similar to the 5-spoke 2011 18" RX350 wheels and have the same bolt pattern and 35 mm offset.

I downsized from 18" to 17" wheels/tires for winter on our Sienna and from 17" to 16" for winter on our Prius wagon. Even with winter tires, both vehicles have noticeably more pleasant rides with the smaller diameter wheels.

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2015 at 10:01 PM, 501mose said:

Our 2011 RX 350 came with 19" rims and Michelin tires. It does not ride smooth and the tires are noisy along with some wind noise from the side windows. At 41,000 miles the tires are worn out and I decided to find out if others were having the same problems. A comon complaint with this car from those responding on the internet is the rough ride and not an exactly quiet ride either. Eigtht months ago I bought a new Chevy Equinox which came with 17" rims and Michelin tires. I am here to tell you that this ($25,000) car rides better and is noticeably quieter than the ($45,000) Lexus RX 350!

My wife says so too since she drivers the Lexus most of the time.

Here is what I did to make this a better car. I bought 4 refurbished 18" (factory original) rims on ebay from a company in Houston, $556 delivered to my front door. The rims look brand new.

I bought 4 Pirelli Scorpion Verde, Season Plus 235/60 R18,103H on Amazon for $638 delivered. Tire Rack had these tires at the top of the rating chart based on customers response. Many Lexus owners have also praised these tires. If you go this route be sure you get the (Season Plus) version as the regular Pirelli Scorpion Verde are not as highly rated. Lastly I had the old tires removed along with the tire pressure sensing device and had the new rims, sensors and tires installed which included lifetime rotate and balancing. Air pressue set at 33 psi, Cost for this at Walmart was $67.36, Total price = $1261.36.