Extreme White Bulbs

They are supposed to be dim. Since the reflector of the DRL is also the reflector for the HIGH BEAMS, it would be like you were driving around with your high beams on all the time if you put brighter bulbs in.

You could just take them out and be all but invisable to oncomming traffic? :chairshot:

They are supposed to be dim. Since the reflector of the DRL is also the reflector for the HIGH BEAMS, it would be like you were driving around with your high beams on all the time if you put brighter bulbs in.

You could just take them out and be all but invisable to oncomming traffic? :chairshot:

When the lights are on at night they are very yellow compared to the HID lamps. I don't want the replace the highbeam light, just the smaller running light.

I could take the bulbs out, I doubt it makes much difference whether I have them on during the day or not. If anyone knows where I can get some bulbs that give off a whiter beam, let me know.

You could just take them out and be all but invisable to oncomming traffic?:chairshot:

When the lights are on at night they are very yellow compared to the HID lamps. I don't want the replace the highbeam light, just the smaller running light.

I could take the bulbs out, I doubt it makes much difference whether I have them on during the day or not. If anyone knows where I can get some bulbs that give off a whiter beam, let me know.

What HIDs are running? OEM? Are you talking about the wedge bulb? I don't think those are related to DRLs since DRLs are actually the highs running at 50% wattage. I use the Polarg M4s to replace the wedge bulb and they are white. I've also seen people putting M6s in but I think those run at a higher wattage than stock.

You could just take them out and be all but invisable to oncomming traffic?:chairshot:

What HIDs are running? OEM? Are you talking about the wedge bulb? I don't think those are related to DRLs since DRLs are actually the highs running at 50% wattage. I use the Polarg M4s to replace the wedge bulb and they are white. I've also seen people putting M6s in but I think those run at a higher wattage than stock.

Thanks, Neo. I we are talking about the same thing. It's not the primary high beam but the smaller bulb at the base of the unit that does not directly reflect.

Where did you get the bulbs?

The DRL's are not the high beams running at 50%. The DRL's are seperate bulbs located in the high beam reflector housing. At least this is the case in the '98 GS300. What year car are we talking about anyway?

Where did you get the bulbs?

I got mine on eBay. They usually run $8-$10 for a pair after the shipping/handling is added. I replaced a bunch of the interior lights with the same M4 bulb. I got a packaged deal from a seller there to save shipping.

The DRL's are not the high beams running at 50%. The DRL's are seperate bulbs located in the high beam reflector housing. At least this is the case in the '98 GS300. What year car are we talking about anyway?

Hmm. Let me check some sources. I have a 98 GS300 like you but I do NOT have DRL. Some of my buddies with newer GSes have DRL so I'll verify again with them. The discussions I've read on DRLs all states that they are Highs running at 50%. I'll post back when I have confirmation one way or another. :)

As a matter of fact, I did a quick search here on LOC and came up with these:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=2245

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=7724

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=6070

although only one discussion is on the GS. My previous reading was not from LOC but it confirms the same info. I did not even realize the 98 GS had DRLs. I thought they only came on late 99s and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all the folks that replied. I followed Neo's advice and my Polarg M4's came in today. I'll be changing out the bulbs tonight.

Cool. Let us know how you like them. The M6 I talked about are brighter but they do run at a higher wattage. If it is just the color that you are concerned about, then these M4s should work out just fine.

As NEO stated the 98 GS did not come with DRL's...on the next model year forward they are the highbeams (9005) at 50% power. The wedge bulbs in the same housing (194) are 5W bulbs which you can replace with something up to 12W or so...Best bet is to switch to PIAA LEDs or Polarg M4 or M6. On other Lexus models (like the RX) do not put anything above 5W as it WILL melt the plastic. Trust me :rolleyes:

As NEO stated the 98 GS did not come with DRL's...on the next model year forward they are the highbeams (9005) at 50% power. The wedge bulbs in the same housing (194) are 5W bulbs which you can replace with something up to 12W or so...Best bet is to switch to PIAA LEDs or Polarg M4 or M6. On other Lexus models (like the RX) do not put anything above 5W as it WILL melt the plastic. Trust me :rolleyes:

So the wedge bulbs in the same housing do what? When do they come on?

I installed the Polarg M4's and they look great. It's nice to have all the headlights match. I have a 99 GS4 that I bought in 1998 and the DRL only turn on if I switch them on manually and it's just the wedge bulb, not the highbeam at 50%.

Thanks, Neo for the good advice. I bought several sets, do they work anywhere else on the car.

I installed the Polarg M4's and they look great. It's nice to have all the headlights match. I have a 99 GS4 that I bought in 1998 and the DRL only turn on if I switch them on manually and it's just the wedge bulb, not the highbeam at 50%.

Thanks, Neo for the good advice. I bought several sets, do they work anywhere else on the car.

I don't think that is technically the DRL. Even the cars with DRLs can turn on the "parking lights" that is the wedge bulb. ;)

Anyways, here are a few more places you can put the M4s:

rear door bottom light

rear passenger doom light

front door bottom light

side marker

If you want to go wild, you can also do this:

front central doom light - m16

front map light - m17

backup light (98-00 tailights) - m2

backup light (01+ tailights) - m6

The lights under the front leg area is harder to match. Also there is the light in the glove compartment. I have not seen good recommendations for these areas.

There is also the license plate light but I don't know if I'd want that even more visible. ;)