Please Help, Only Car.

Hello, I have a 93 sc400 that I drove a short distance, about a mile, then turned the AC on and a few minutes of running, the car started idling really rough so I turned the AC off and tried giving a little gas to clear up but it ran rough and then died. Tried turning over and won't. I can hear the fuel pump working so I know it's not that but have no money to get it diagnosed. In a real jam. Any ideas of what it could be? Also I let it sit overnight and tried turning it over and it sounded like it was about to start and then won't. Thanks for any assistance.

Hi Clayface,

I'm not sure what to tell you. The best place to start would be taking the car to an Auto Zone or similar place and have the codes downloaded to see if there is something that will head you in the right direction. Since your SC won't start at all your rather short on options. It could be something in conjunction with the extra load placed on the system when the AC was turned on.

Someone else should come along and give you better info than I.

PJ

• Like 1

I have an auto zone but it's several miles away and would be a costly tow there and back. Just moved to Florida and money is very tight. Checked all hoses for anything disconnected, all looks good. I could use a mechanic that makes house calls in the Port Saint Lucie area.....

Checked all fuses inside and out. All ok. Took fuel rails apart and turned key, plenty of fuel, took #1 spark plug out from each side, cranked, plenty of spark from both sides (bright blue/white) tried starter fluid in throttle body, won't turn over, just cranks. Any ideas where to go from here?

There was one thing that would happen, don't know if it helps diagnosis, but for the past couple of years, the engine light along with the trac light would come on at the same time. Car ran great so I didn't think much of it, then after driving for a while, or if I would open it up on the highway, they would just go off on their own. I only run premium fuel and in the the last month I replaced the timing belt, water & fuel pump, radiator, thermostat, tensioner pulleys, air filter, struts and strut mounts. Basically everything that may cause a breakdown for the trip from Long Island to Port Saint Lucie FL. Car made it down fine with 204k+ miles on it. Always got the oil change when required. MAF is very clean and noticed after driving a week after having timing belt done that the MAF sensor wasn't reconnect and car still ran fine. Throttle control seems to be working ok too. Outside closes for choke when key is turned on, but don't know about inner, but wouldn't it turn over, at least for a second with starter fluid? That's why I'm thinking engine ECU. Anyone know of a way to test it? Cheapest I can find is used at $120 on eBay.

Yeah, was hoping a hard reset would have worked. Even wd40 terminal ends and gave an extra cleaning before putting back together. Hoping there is a way of testing the engine ECU so I don't have to spend money I don't have, on something I don't need.

• 3 months later...

Don't bother with auto zone, they only read OBDII cars, if you take the ECU out one of the common problems with these cars is the Capacitors leak which cause a lot of weird things... "i know from experience"... Randoms codes come up on the dash and auto zones scanners cant read them because its an OBDI but there is a company that will rebuild the ECU for like 70$ if yours is bad.