How To Change Front Passenger Caliper Bottom Bolt Ls400 1997?

Flyguy75

I need help in changing out front caliper passenger side for my 1997 LS400. There are four bolts that hold the caliper onto the bracket. The top three I have been able to remove but the bottom bolt does not have enough clearance for me to get the ratchet and bit to it to take off. It looks like a piece of the steering mechanism is in the way of the bolt sliding out. The bolt itself is rounded but has an inside "star" hex shape. I have attempted to turn the steering wheel in every direction to see if I can access it. Do I need a special tool? I also tried a set of vise grips but feared that I would damage the bolt and stopped after one attempt. I would imagine that LEXUS would make it easy and not require me to disassemble the steering device to get to the caliper. PLEASE HELP ME.

There should be only two bolts holding the caliper to the steering knuckle. They are really well hidden, 17mm if memory serves me, and should not be too hard to take off. Just steer your wheels to one side all the way, or the other, and you should be able to get a breaker bar in there, so it sticks out of the wheel well. Other bolts, whatever it is you are seeing, do not hold the brake caliper in place.

If you still cannot take off the caliper with those two bolts removed, you just need to jiggle it a little, the caliper is heavy, and is sitting thight in there (with brake pads possibly hugging the disc). Here I found a picture of the only two bolts that need to be removed:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/171570-uh-turbo-time-na-t-feed-me-24.html

Just look at the third image after the black SC400 on the top of the page. First its the black SC, than its engine, than something else than the picture of the same caliper you are working on with those two 17mm bolts that need to be removed indicated. It is fairly simple, they are just hard to see as they are on the back and well hidden, kinda deep inside, you have to stick your head inside the wheel well to be able to see them - I mostly worked by touch only as it was hard to see them, but they are there.

BTW, the screw that you are trying to take off, is a "torx" type of screw, and does not need to be taken off. Usually when you see torx, it means - "We don't want you to touch this!" :)

The Torx bolts you are attempting to remove actually hold the 2 parts of the piston chambers together and should never be removed.

As Johnny 123 mentions the calipers are actually secured to the carrier bracket with 2 17mm bolts,one top one bottom.

It is slightly worrying that you are working on a car's braking system without a manual, a reasonable knowledge of vehicle repair techniques,parts description and without the correct tools.

Why are you replacing the caliper? Do you know how to bleed a braking system? Do you know which type of grease to use and where to put it?

If the answer to the last 2 questions is no, take it to someone who does and pay them to do it :)

I hope the car is not supported just on the factory jack or a pile of house bricks.