Overspray On My 95 Sc4

Where I work there are apartments behind my building. They are painting the apartments and I notice after work today my car os covered in overspray. Windows, every inch of paint, headlights, taillights, wheels etc... Keep in mind this is a 1995 SC4 with 17K on it color is the teal mist metallic. Garage kept perfect condition not one blemish in the paint or a noticable swirl. Now my baby is covered in overspray the paint feels like sandpaper. I contact the apartment manager and try to contact the paint contractor. Somehow they will pay but my question is how much do you think this will cost and can it be brought back to perfect? Suggestions please. Thanks.

Wet sand is last resort. Take it to a professional detailer and ask what they think. Ask to see pictures of their work. A good, thorough wax with high quality materials should get it off of there. A plastic polish on the lights and light solvent on the windows.

17k miles on a 95 is insane. That is awesome.

If you take it to someone that knows what they're doing, your paint will look brand new after a wet sand job. They use high grit sand paper first with water and then, a series of polishing and buffing compounds. It won't only remove the overspray, but it will also remove the factory orange peel in the paint and give the finish a much smoother look. It really isn't that hard to do, so if they screw that up they shouldn't be a shop. As long as Macco isn't going to do it, you should be fine.

Again, a detailer will most likely use a claybar. Those things are practially magic. Which ever you choose to go to is up to you. But, be warned. A wetsand job does take clear coat off. So if you did drive your car in harsh conditions, that might not be a good idea.

Like everyone said have it clay'd, but don't be afraid to have it wetsanded if it's necessary...the oe clearcoat is very thick and there's plenty of material there for a competent person to work with. As sadistic said it will also remove any orange peel and imperfections, and there will be no swirls after if it is polished properly, just smooth glassy paint, i've done it plenty of times. Those idiots really did screw you though, that low mlg you don't want to have to do anything to it, hope they do the right thing for you.

- Jon

Yes, you can take out some orange peel by these procedures, but I would not recommend it. Orange peel actually is caused by issues (could be several) in the base coat layer of a base coat / clear coat finish. So, the clear is already filling in peaks and valleys. If you remove clear, you risk damaging the underlying base coat simply by leaving your car out in the sun. UV rays are deadly to paint finishes. Most paint systems have the UV blocker in the clear coat. As you reduce the film build of the clear, you open up the base coat and electrocoat layers to UV degradation because there is no longer enough clear coat to protect the layers underneath. Remember the medium blue GM cars in the early and mid 80's??? That's what happened to those cars. Clear coat is expensive and companies are continually minimizing the EXTRA that is sprayed on a car. Yes, our cars have a good amount and the finishes will last a long time. But, start removing that protective layer and 2, 4, 6, or 8 years down the road you will notice problems.

I would have the car clay barred by a professional, but I would not wet sand and polish. The clay bar will remove less of the clear.

I just got an estimate (like today) from a well respected shop in my area that does frame off restorations. (Yea, out here in the wooded hill jack region, I found a professional restoration shop - who'd a thunk it?) Anyways, I want them to fix a dent in my rear quarter (don't ask) and repaint my car. He said he would spray a dupont premire base black - and 4 layers of clear over it. Then wet sand it to remove the orange peel. Then polish it. This would give it a glass finish. I trust the guy becauase he has two 50,000$ restoration jobs sitting in his office. I swear, the cars look like they are glass. I might reverse my stance on wetsanding if you don't park your car outside except for the rare occasion. I won't get into price - but it was a fair number. Problem is, he can't get to it until the winter. So I'm going to have him repair and match the dent this weekend. The car will be repainted in December. I must say, I'm stoked about it.

im a professional detailer. first off. don't have the car wet sanded. they just want to make a quick buck when all they are going to do is caly the car with clay bar. and also depending on how bad the over spray is , if you were to clay the car yourself it would take you anywhere from 15 to 30 min to caly the whole car and remove the overspray. trust me, dont even pay 350 for it. RIP OFF :censored: do it yourself. all you have to do is buy the clay at a pep boys or autozone etc... wash the car real good. start with the roof line which is. all the windows, roof, hood, trunk, and side mirrors. then do the sides of the car but stay above the moldings. you dont want to drag dirt from the bottom up because that can cause scratches. after that then do the front of the car, then below the moldings, and then the back of the car. after the whole car is washed take the caly bar(work it so its flat) while the car is still wet, rub the caly bar on the car again starting from top to bottom. when claying you need patience. just keep rubbing, not to much pressure. as you rub the overspray will come off. that *BLEEP*es me off that someone will charge 350 for a tops 30 min job. :angry:

oh yeah you can also use the clay on the headlights and taillights. and if they are willing to pay, tell them to give you the 350 and do it yourself. so you spend a couple bucks on a clay bar and you made 350. man i wish i was you ;)

if you have any question i'll be happy to answer anything..:cheers:

• 1 month later...

Just try some McGuires' car polish and work up to a nice wax to remove swirls. I just tried the new nanotechnology wax on the market and it is FANTASTIC in removing swirls. Keep the car waxed and any future overspray should come off easier.