Best Year?

I'm looking at buying a 400, my price range limits me to 93 to around 96. Wanted to get feedback from the experts on preferrences or subtle but significant differences between these years. 95 seems to be a popular one?

My mechanic advised me that at 100k the car will need an expensive tune up including the timing belt totalling around $2,000.

Can't wait to get behind the wheel if I had any luck finding one just need some advice.

why not the 92? its the lightest. btw, that mechanic is totally trying to screw you over mainly because he thinks you dont know jack *BLEEP* about cars since you mentioned a luxury car. just take it to a friend who knows what hes doin.

1. http://www.edmunds.com/used/lexus/index.ht...tent..0.Lexus.*

2. http://www.cars.com/go/crp/index.jsp

*The above two links do preaty good car comparison, from year to year and also have editors' and consumer reviews.

As far as the maintance is concerned, you can always check with any Lexus dealer to see if they have done any work on that car [which ever one you might be interseted in]. If the buyer is confident about the price they are selling it at, why want ask them if he/she have the recipts of the particular work done to it; since most of it will have to be done at that point [mileage wise].

*The following are just sites of what other people have said, but LOC will fill you up with all of this info.:

3. http://www.carreview.com/Luxury%2CCars/Lex...82_1529crx.aspx

4. http://www.carsurvey.org/review_48023.html

Many of the Lexus owners really take care of their cars so a good chance of finding a nice clean car is good. SC is not a popular car so the resale value is really horrible making it a good use car buy. It is reliable miles after miles so something with high mileage should not be a deterrent if it has a proof of good maintenance. I have a ‘96 that I had it for some time, and it is running without any problem except for the tires that seems to go out of balance often (soft rubber). Religiously change all fluids in the car and I am doing the plug and cap this weekend after 124k. It still runs strong with good gas mileage. ’95-96 has the second body style that as has the seven spoke wheels with clear cover tail lamp, driving lights, and minus the lip. And also in ’96 they added 10hp with little tweaking. ’96 is little more refined and the exhaust is also throatier compare to the 92-94. SC is really hard to find but the price is not very high like all other sports coupes.

The 1996 SC400 got the updated engine that was introduced in the 1995 lexus LS400 with 10 more hp and perhaps a little more torque. I believe the 1995 and 1996 models also came with a remote trunk opener and additional cup holder. They may have also had some upgrades to the suspension but it is unlikely you would notice a major difference in driving the 1992-1996 models. You should not only test drive the car you are considering but have it checked out by a lexus dealership for approx. $100 before making a purchase. They will have the service history and will check the engine suspension,electronics etc and you should also get the carfax history. Cars with over 75,000mi often need a new power steering pump and are close to the major timing belt and water pump service. You might need new struts and shocks, rotors,pads,and tires and all the fluids flushed and changed. If the car is a 1992-93 it will have the old R12 AC system and should be checked for leaks as R12 is hard to come by and can cost $60-$90lb if you can still get it. Once you see what the car needs you can negotiate a final priice if still interested. Spending $100 up front can save you thousands even though lexus owners take good care of their cars. It is still possible to find low miilage one owner cars on autotrader.com, ebay etc. It pays to be patient and do an internet search as well as a search of the car section of major newspapers. I found a 1993 in the color I wanted with only 18,000 documented miles on it!

Jacob, I can telll you that an SC with 100k miles or so will need $2,000 worth of work (dealer price) if the previous owner didn't have that work done (if they say they did, ask for receipts). Now if you and/or your buddies can do some/most of the work, it's not so bad, because you can get parts online at reasonable prices and get the same results for much less - that's what I did.