My New A/c Isn´t Too Cool.

Zdeno

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you guys question about how cool the A/C have to be on LS400. I had my 1991 LS400 in A/C repair shop and it cost me $459 for labor. I mean I brought AC compressor, Expansion valve and drier and they replaced those parst. They told me that flushed all freon and put new in it. So the A/C works good again but yesterday it was about 90 degrees overhere and it tooks me about 30 minutes to I have cooler air in my car and it was so so. Anyway I thinks that the air from A/C isn´t to cool like it should be. I have much cooler air in my 87 volvo than in lexus. I don´t know what to do. If I should to call to A/C shop or if it is normal that this cars haven´t too cold air. I don´t know. THANK YOU for advice.

The temperature of the air coming out of the center vent of the dashboard should be 35-42 degrees F after just 2-4 minutes of running the system. The factory original refrigerant was R12. If the AC shop did not use R12 or did not charge your system with the proper amount of R12 then cooling will not be this good.

If you wrote a check today for this--you should be at your bank when the doors open tomorrow morning and stop payment on the check !!!!

Then go back to the a/c shop and tell them to fix it correct so you can pay them.

Hope this works----

Your a/c is NOT correct. if they used R134a you should know it--and as was said it won't be as good but shouldn't be that bad.

what are you going to do when it gets 100 outside ??

Well that explains why your system conked out to begin with. R12 systems converted to R134a last only 6 months to 3 years before there are major component failures and/or refrigerant leaks. Plus the converted systems don't cool as well. However, your R134a system should at least be putting out 45-55 degree air from the dash vents when you are driving 25 miles per hour or more. If your system is not cooling at least this well then I agree with the other guy that you should stop payment on your check for $450+ dollars!

the reason why its not as cool is because the 134 isnt as efficient as the r12 meaning you need a bigger condenser or atleast one designed for 134. if you look at ac lines on a 134 car (like a 1995+ car) you will see what looks like pointless ac line routing. but what this actually does is cool the hot gas. r12 didnt need all of this because it was so efficient so i would just go back th the shop and pay the extra $150-200 or so and have the r12 charged in there.

i don't agree with the statements that the R134A systems arennt' sufficient.

i had a 92 acura vigor converted over to 134a and it lasted until got rid or it 5 years, and i've converted my LS to 134A and its last 3 years blowing colder than ever.

i've never heard of those conversion systems to fail after 6 month or even 3 years unless u have a compressor malfunction. or a pinhole leak.

almost all older cars around are converted into 134a

I use Maxifrig in 3 cars[not Lexus--it is 134a]; replaces R-12, about $5.50 per can, COLDER, anyone can buy it, non polluting, use only 70% of normal charge, no change to ester oil !!! Vacuum pump is required--will not mix w/Freon. BUT not for everyone---each to his own. Some folks run nitrogen in their tires--do what 'turns you on' !!!! :D

Most conversion is done to R134a BECAUSE of the cost of R12 plus anyone can buy it(w/o certification). But the oil has to be changed !!!! Pressure/temp curve of 134a is different than R12 and sizes of R12 systems are not large enough--which causes the evap temp to be slightly lower on R134 (when put in R12 system). Just type 'R134a' in goggle and you will find out why,etc.

Note: Maxifrig is outlawed(contains propane) and cannot be installed at a A/C shop. This is a DIY thing.

site is: www.maxifrig.com

Lost my A/C two weeks ago. I took my 92 LS to Precision Toyota and they said my freon was completely gone. After recharged R12, mechanics there told me that they could not find any leak. I'm puzzled because since the A/C system is a closed system, how can the freon be gone over time if there is no leak?

Does the freon evaporate over time?

Flanker, a very small amount of R12 leaks out of the system over the years because of the gas permeable hoses, gaskets and fittings in the system This is normal. After about 10 years the system needs to be "topped off" with a small amount of R12 to replace what has been lost.

Now if your particular system lost ALL of it's charge over a short amount of time then it has a substantial leak and will leak out again. Perhaps the shop was exaggerating when they said it lost ALL the charge? It sure would be wierd for the system to somehow seal itself after it had a substantial leak.

You did the right thing having the system recharged with R12 because systems converted to other refrigerants typically end up being quite unreliable and expensive to fix - far more expensive than the R12.

Lexus R12 systems require only 2-3 pounds of R12. On ebay, 1 pound cans (14 oz) cost

only $20 a can. To top off a system typically takes only 1 can or 1/2 of a can. Charging hoses with can tap valves are also 10 bucks or less on ebay. Ebay managers require sellers to state in their ads that a license is required to buy R12, but at the end of the auction very, very few sellers actually will want to see your license. They just want to see your payment!

Anyone can also get licensed to buy R12 by merely passing a 25 question OPEN BOOK test at www.macssw.org. The test costs only $15

First, R-134 is about 30% less efficient than freon.

Second, the 1992 LS was shipped from the factory already equipped for the conversion, extra complexity in the A/C evaporator, and more insulation and passenger cabin sealing to prevent "conditioned" air from escaping too rapidly.

• 1 month later...

TANSUPPLYMAN,

Do you happen to have some extra cans of Maxifrig for sale?

I called up and they want like $65 for 10 cans (minimum order) and $96 for 24 cans.

Well, I don't need anywhere near that many, just looking for a few right now.

If anyone else wants to try this stuff, I'd be happy to organize a case buy and then parcel them out.

Let me know here.

Joe