Audio Problems-Mark Levinson

RDF

Recently the music stopped. When I turn the ignition to position two I get one second of audio. When car is on, no sound. Is it the amplifier in the trunk or the radio in the dash? Removing the amp is challenging. So many panels and first the navigation. Got most of the way there and stopped, pending tips. I have no ability to diagnose the problem, but obviously the amp is getting power since I get one second of sound.

post-156607-0-64941900-1401649692_thumb.

Hi Robert and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Even thou your getting one "second" of sound does not let the amplifier off the hook. If it was the head unit, radio, you would probably still here some humming from the speakers as you turned the volume up all the way. The amp may clip instantly from a sudden surge or other component failure. This is out in left field, but since your at it, take a good look at the fuse panels.

My guess would be the amp. and to take it to a well known auto audio installer. You can take it to your Lexus dealer, but you would pay way to much.

Please come back and let us know how things turn out.

Paul

You heard it! "dcfish" is the expert. He's forgotten more about these systems than I'll ever know.

He is also a LOC approved vendor of Lexus electronic and audio systems. You might check with him to see if he has an amp available.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to report a successful amp replacement!! So, I sent the amp to United Radio and for $450 they fixed it. No idea what was wrong. Before sending it I was unable to figure out how to open it and look for obvious issues. Anyway, got it back yesterday, plugged it in, presto, music is back. Putting it back into place was much easier than extracting it. A trick might be that when removing it, after removing the two nuts and pushing the two white pegs in, push it further forward into the wheel well instead of pulling straight back and out. Anyway, that helped me. I haven't reinstalled all the trunk panels yet, that will be a chore. So the point is, anyway can remove the amp, United Radio and several others repair them for a flat fee. Not positive what Lexus would have wanted, probably $2,000.

My first post here as I just purchased a 2004 LS430 with 23K miles ...and guess what didn't work? Yep, spent 2 days researching/troubleshooting and concluded amp is kapoof already. My symptoms were no audio and 2 rather loud crack/pops heard thru speakers when turning on car.

Removed amp this morning and overnighted to same place. A lot of $$$ to have the amp fixed but cheap compared to other options. Hopefully I'll have sound in a few days as I'm curious to hear what this system sounds like. Hopefully the speakers are good.

You're right ...the truck panels are a pain.