New Rims - Vibration Between 40-60Mph

Chicken

Good day All,

This is my first post here. Been reading as a guest for a few months, so now thought of registering and posting.

Just changed the tires and rims on my 95 LS 400. Went from Factory 16" to 17" instead. They run smooth on low speeds ( under 40mph) and very high even ( 70mph ). However, I'm getting a feeling of vibration when I drive around 80-120km/h ( 40-60 mph).

Previously when I bought the car used, I got the wheels balanced and the problem was resolved. Wondering if I should do that or do I need to have the wheels aligned?

Also, these rims have a slight different offset, so there are spacers installed.

What should I do to have the vibration removed/reduced?

Well, first off, a hearty welcome to you Rick! :cheers:

When you go from stock to 17" it should not really matter much but perhaps you need to have the tire/wheels rebalanced. Another quick test you can do is to swap the front to back. That puts a different set of rims/tires in the front and maybe you will notice a difference. If so, it could be balance or even a bad tire. It has been known to happen even with new tires.

Also, your 95 could be in need of some new up-front suspension parts, maybe. So, do a thorough check of the bushings there and if some look worn or rotted, then get them replaced and have the front end aligned. Finally, if you still have the 16" wheels/tires, throw them back on and see what happens. If it rides fine, then it is definitely your new rims/tires.

Thanks Randall,

I don't think it's an issue with suspension or bushings as they're virtually new, the last owner took very good care of the car. So I'll try the tire swap idea.

Having said that, I've had the issue previously on stock rims, until I took the car in for wheel balancing and that solved the issue.

Here's my problem. Do I need to rebalance on brand new rims? I'm worried about having those ugly snaps/metal pieces on the new rims and that will ruin the looks.

If I go the alignment route, that's gonna burn me another 70 bucks. I've heard good things about the Hunter balancer, any experience with that?

I would never recommend new tires/rims without having them balanced as a pair. Even though they are new and maybe factory balanced to some extent, the combination of the tire on the rim produces too many variables to ensure balance at speed. So yes, get them balanced. That's probably your issue. Sometimes the tire shops can put the weights on the inside of the rim where you do not see them. But an LS has such big brakes that the inside might not be possible(they would rub the brake caliper). You will need to ask about that at the tire shop.

It doesn't hurt to re-torque the lugs. Vibration does not have anything to do with alignment.

So, I have to ask...how did you get new wheels and tires without having them balanced?

Apparently the rim shop was in a hurry :blushing: and didn't go a good job.

Got the alignment done, and the wheels re-balanced from a different shop.

According to the new shop mechanic, the spacers were too wide for the front wheels. He replaced with a couple of thinner spacers, now the rims are almost "touching" the front calipers. But the ride is smooth now. Will post pictures in the morning.

If the rims are new you could have stick on balance weight strips fitted,they go behind the rim face so are hidden and don't show.

Also low profile so tend to clear calipers.

Not recommended for old or corroded rims as they tend to come off.