Why So Few Mods For The Es?

I realize that being a front wheel drive car, there are some limits to the performance, but why is it that there are relatively few performance mods available for the ES vs. other Lexus models or even other car brands?

I'm not talking about stereos, body kits and wood trim. I have never seen headers or a full exhaust (not just cat back), few ECU chips, few intake choices or CAIs, pulley kits, etc. (I have seen plenty of brakes & suspensions though). There just dosen't seem to be alot of choices on the market for us ES owners.

There are tons of mods available for all models of Acura (Integra esp.), BMW, Mercedes, and Audi/VW, but as ES owners, we are left out of the loop. Granted the ES is never going to be top performer, but neither is a Honda Civic.

So what gives? Is it the demographic of the drivers that makes companies stay away from it? Is it that there really isn't too much that can be done to increase performance?

The ES is perfect just the way it is for it's primary target market: financially comfortable 30-80 year olds who value isolation from road noise and harshness more than high speed cornering capability. These conservative owners value understated elegance.

Headers, exhausts, chips and K&N's are for the street racer crowd. Even if a stock ES could do 0-60 in 5 seconds, the boy racers would STILL want headers, exhausts, chips and K&N's

because the real purpose of those noisy, "cool" looking items is to make a social statement. to their peers.

people been asking this question all the time and its true theres not much performance parts for the es300.if you search for toyota camery you might find a few extra little performace things that might fit the es but thats about it.no clear tail lights no headers and such.it stinks i know how you feel! :D

The ES is perfect just the way it is for it's primary target market: financially comfortable 30-80 year olds who value isolation from road noise and harshness more than high speed cornering capability. These conservative owners value understated elegance.

Headers, exhausts, chips and K&N's are for the street racer crowd. Even if a stock ES could do 0-60 in 5 seconds, the boy racers would STILL want headers, exhausts, chips and K&N's

because the real purpose of those noisy, "cool" looking items is to make a social statement. to their peers.

One could also argue that the Honda Accord is perfect for it's target market of middle aged adults that want a reliable safe and very affordable car. Yet, there are tons of aftermarket parts available for the Accord compared to the ES. If every car was made for a specific target market then there would be relatively few if any aftermarket producers since the cars would already have what everyone wanted.

Personally I am not interested in clear taillights, vvti badges or other things for looks. I am not trying to be "cool" nor do I give a rats @$$ what anyone thinks about my car. I am not going to race anyone and I don't care about 0-60 times. I also don't need 270 HP & crazy torque steer like the TL...

...But it sure would be nice if my ES300 had an additional 20-30 HP & ft/lbs of torque! Compared to other luxury manufacturers, Lexus is light in the HP dept from the factory. I didn't buy the car for speed or performance, but it would be nice if it had those in addition to the things I bought it for.

I agree with you 100%. I've been looking ever since I bought mine 8 months ago. The closeset i got was a header system with or without a "y pipe" but thats just for the 1mz-fe engines.

I'm thinking about doing a homemade cai (with a realiable cone filter) and ignition upgrades.

Any thoughts on this...anyone??

I've just added minor ad on's & frankly I'm perfectly happy with them...K & N filter, synthetic oil & oil Filter, performance tires (factory original size) & tint B) The ES is a totally different "animal" than a Honda Accord as an example & VGR is exact in stating the reason there aren't a whole bunch of "go fast" performance mods. The ES just isn't that kind of party :whistles: They've made the car since 92 (300 & now 330), surly Lexus would know by now if such a huge demand would exist for our kind of car. That's what the SC & IS are for & Lexus is correct in making it that way.

:cheers: