Check Water Level In Battery

I have a 1996 ES300 and wanted to share with the board that not all batteries are maintenance free. Late last year I attempted to start the car and the battery "exploded". Well not exactly exploded, although that's what it sounded like, but blew off the caps to the battery. I replaced the battery after washing out the affected area (some insulation melted in the hood) and had no problems afterwards.

I always have the oil changed by the dealer but they apparently don't check the water/acid level in the battery.

Hope this helps someone avoid the problem I had.

Ed

What kind of battery do you have in the car? I have a new Lexus battery in my 01 (the dealer replaced it about 2 weeks before I purchased it). There is no mention of maintaining it on the labels.....I wonder if mine is maintenance free?! :unsure:

There was no prior indication that it was going bad.

I don't know if the old battery was aftermarket. I purchased the new battery from the Lexus dealer and I'll check tonight to see if it's a sealed, maintenance free battery and report back.

Ed

There's never any indication, thats why they use maintenance free batts now. The shop never checked the water level because I'm sure a lot of those techs have never even seen a servicable battery.

I checked the new battery last night. It says Lexus on it and was purchased from the Lexus dealer. It has the same appearance that the old battery had - two plastic "strips" each covering three holes. It doesn't say "maintenance free" and I guess I'll have to check it every year or so.

When I purchased it the maintenance guy said no engine or electrical problem would result from the battery problem. He was right - he must have seen this before.

Ed

es300ed, are you saying that the Lexus dealer has replaced the battery (on your second one)? Just wondered if the battery had a bad cell or the reason for the trouble you've expereenced? & what was the solution? :unsure:

:cheers:

I drove my wifes car to the dealer and bought the replacement battery. I then took out the old battery and replaced it with the new one. Then I took the old one back to the dealer for disposal.

I think the cause was a spark in the battery caused by low water/acid level.

What I really learned was that I (and my children) will always use safety glasses when doing any work around a battery (jump starting; changing a battery, etc.). I always saw the warning labels about wearing safety glasses but disregarded them because I never heard of one exploding on anybody. God apparently looks out for drunks and fool!

Ed