Sc 430 Speakers

theazz

When I put my speaker settings on the front only and then go full left compared to full right I have hardly any bottom end on the drivers side but when I pan to the passenger side have real good bottom end. Would someone mind trying this in you SC and let me know if that's normal. I'm thinking not and if not what are your thoughts.

Thanks

theazz

Just got the car so I'll take a look at the harness, hopefully its not the amp. I'll let you know what I find. If the harness looks good I'll try to get to the power amp and swap the left and right and see what the result is.

Thanks

Hi theazz.

Based on what you've described there are about three things I would suggest looking at.

) Your amplifier could have a problem with one of it's output channels. Part of that could be a crossover failing and blocking the

low frequencies.

) Another possibility could be a bad speaker in the drivers door. It could have damaged coil, cone or tear from age.

) The last item is to check your head unit. If you know how, you may be able to get to it and check if it's putting out the right

signals' compared to factory specs.

Considering these three possibilities, my money would be on the amplifier. But there are probably a dozen other things it could be. Some times we forget how old some of these stereo's are. There bound to need some TLC.

Paul

To all members: Please remember to put BOTH the year and model of your Lexus when Posting in any Forum.

Good thinking Paul, hopefully it's just something as simple as someone forgot to plug the harness into the speaker. I will admit that I've done it. I buttoned up the entire door panel and then realized that I wasn't getting any sound from the speaker. Had some serious debate on whether I wanted to take the door apart again of not. In the end, I bit the bullet and did the tear down again. Hopefully it's something simple and not too invasive.

PS. once you have the door panel open you can always use a voltmeter to check if the amp is putting out voltage by "jumping" the speaker leads in the harness.

theazz

2003 SC 430. 92000 miles

Well I hope the God's are with me. I took off my door panel and as I'm lifting it out old foam was falling out the bottom. My bottom speaker (woofer) had NO foam on it at all. So I hope that's the problem. While I was at it I took off the other door panel and the speaker looks perfect. So I ordered a new rebuild kit from Simply Speakers and hope that solves the problem. Sure beats fixing a bad amp.

I upgraded my speakers to Rockford Fosgate. In the door PPS8-6, which are 6.5" 8ohm midbass. In the rear, Rockford Fosgate 4" 4-ohm. I had to use an adapter plate but am so happy with the results. Better sound than the overrated ML speakers. HUGE DRIVER MAGNETS! Might be for some interest for you to check out rather than the foam repair.

Shawn

Myself being a musician I know large magnets usually means a speaker will handle large wattage and power.

Since it sounds like you did your homework on this, is the original 6x9 considered a mid range speaker, also is it 8 ohm so its a simple replacement except for a bracket. last what difference did you notice with your new speakers, is there enough low end?

Thanks

George

I updated my post above a little, so the OEM system is an 8ohm system, and the subwoofer is 16ohm. A near difficult combination to find replacement speakers. The OEM 6x9 is actually a one-way woofer that handles only the lows. The PPS8-6 is a two way (from what i read) midbass but since the ML system is set for a tweeter for high, a mid for the mids, and the woofer for the bass only the bass plays through that RF speaker. It was a great replacement. I'm very happy with the results. The bass is amazing without that ghetto "shake the block" sound. Really clean. And since the mids and highs are still intact, the sound is concert quality. Since you have the door apart, I would recommend using either repair foam or (as I did) use silicone to strengthen the cone on the mid in the door. Also, yes the only true modification is adding an adapter plate. You will have to modify the wire harness slightly since the RF has quick push connect push terminals.

I'm surprised to hear that the 6x9" are 8 ohms. For as far back as 2005 on a previous ES330 I owned, all speakers were 4 ohms. I learned something new today!

Shawn, your on the money when you talk about the speakers in the Mark Levinson system. My experiance with the ML has never convinced me that it is worth the 2k plus. And the number one complaint I see posting on the Club is not enough bass. In my experiance here on the forum as well is the biggest source of system failure is the amplifier meeting a premature death. However, the design of the audio experiance intended for the ML and it's environment is not for hub-cap rattling Hip Hop, or the canon booms in the 1812 oveture. The ML use's an elaborate crossover network connected to all output componants.

I'm anxious to hear what you find out theazz. Keep us posted.

Paul

I'm primarily looking for "punch" in my system so you think I'll get it with the Fosgate? Did you make an adaptor bracket or buy one somewhere.?

Any other modifications you made to your system?

Thanks

theazz

Yeah, I feel that the RF def hit harder compared to OEM. Additionally, I also put sound deadner (actually thick pink home insulation) in the doors and under the rear seat and seat back. I also replaced the sub with a dual voice coil (8ohm per coil) subwoofer from Ebay which I then wired in series (therefore now 16 ohm). I replaced the rear speakers with RF 4" 4ohm (only option available) and no problem with amp yet. As for the front door adapter plate, I ordered from Ebay and I believe it was from Scosche. There was some small modification needed for the plate to allow mounting to the OEM plate. Pretty easy to figure out though. I just used self tapping screws and then the OEM screws. And as I already mentioned, the you will have to clip the wire off the OEM speaker and then strip the ends and push them into the spring terminals on the RF speaker.

Boy your set up seems nice. I'm ordering the Fosgate and the adapter plates now. Looks like about $54 each plus adapter plates. After I install I'll look into the rest.

Thanks for all your input it's been a great help.

theazz

No problem, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. As a matter of fact, I had an O2 sensor replaced today and the mechanic was like, "Wow, that's sound system is pretty dope." I told him about the 8ohm/16ohm headache and he was impressed. since he said that he knew most systems run 4ohm or 2ohm and the trouble it must have been to find compatible speakers without destroying the amp.

No, I kept the OEM headunit b'c i really liked how clean the center stack looked. I really like the metal finish on the radio and I wanted to keep my dash as OEM as possible. I also like how the doors on the radio and NAV can close. I heard many people after replacing with aftermarket lose the door function on the radio. I'm just happy with how the OEM interior looks and want to keep it as clean as possible.

• 3 years later...

Shawn

I'm complaining about the same things and I like the Fosgate speakers as well 

but I want sat radio in my 04 , I guess your not in favor of changing the radio so 

that leaves me with the small Sat radio receiver add on and transmit to the OEM 

radio ?

What year is your SC? Yes, I want to keep my factory head unit as I like the aesthetics of the interior. There are two companies that make SiriusXM products and HD Radio products for the SC430 (depends on the year): GROM Audio and VaisTech. What I've chosen to do in my 2002 is to buy an OEM radio from a 2007. It's plug and play. Then I bought the GROM unit and am in the process of using it as the "hub" for Aux input (for my media player and HD radio stand alone tune), and then using my Sirius XM Stratus tuner for XM. The GROM also has ipod/android bluetooth remote control from the steering wheel, as well as hard wire USB charging/USB Disc use. I found this other company which looks very similar to the GROM but have yet to try it out. If you're up for it, check it out and let us know how it works. For $50 and Amazon guarantee with free return, worth the chance (btw if you go this route, 2001-2009 use the 7+5 adapter, and 2010 has the 6+6 adapter b'c you will need an additional Y cable). Just something to keep in mind. 

http://www.vaistech.com/

http://gromaudio.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Interface-Adapter-GS450H-RX400H/dp/B06W5B5RPT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501343428&sr=8-1&keywords=sc430+aux