Trunk Does Not Release On Rx330

Harley

Hello,

Has anyone else who owns a Rx330 experienced the following: the hatch will not release with the remote or by pushing the release button inside the car? Basically since owning my Rx330, on 3 separate occasions, either my husband or I have successfully unlocked the car doors with the remote and then when pushing the power door button to make the hatch go up, nothing happens. We've tried re-locking the doors and then unlocking and trying the power door button and still nothing happens. After manually opening the door and trying the automatic door close button on the hatch, nothing happens. It's almost like no power is going to the hatch. Only after starting the engine and then pushing the power door button inside the car will the hatch work properly. It's almost like the door has to be reset. Anyone else experience something similar? Is there anything that can be done to fix this problem? I am planning to report this problem to my Lexus dealer. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

:unsure:

Hmmm... called my Lexus dealer and the service manager said that he's never heard of the P/N I gave him. He said that Lexus had not issued a bulletin regarding the hatch release problem. I'm thinking of contacting Lexus Corp directly and asking them about it. Even with the P/N, the service manager said that he couldn't do much with the number... there isn't a part to get. Sigh... any suggestions?

I have had the same problem with my RX330 as well. It's happend at least 10 times since I purchase the car in Oct of 2003. I took it to the dealership the next morning that that had happened. One of the guys there filling in for the service manager, took a look at it and couldn't open it with the remote or the car button. But after a few times, he manually opened the hatch and closed it. After that it worked. He told me, "It must have been my trunk carpet." I told him that I don't think my trunk carpet is causing it to not open. He just kinda shrugged his shoulders.

I've taken it in 2 times for this particular problem. The dealership in Fresno just told me they haven't heard of anything like this before. If you can find out more information regarding this problem, please pass it on.

I have had the same problem with my RX330 as well. It's happend at least 10 times since I purchase the car in Oct of 2003. I took it to the dealership the next morning that that had happened. One of the guys there filling in for the service manager, took a look at it and couldn't open it with the remote or the car button. But after a few times, he manually opened the hatch and closed it. After that it worked. He told me, "It must have been my trunk carpet." I told him that I don't think my trunk carpet is causing it to not open. He just kinda shrugged his shoulders.

I've taken it in 2 times for this particular problem. The dealership in Fresno just told me they haven't heard of anything like this before. If you can find out more information regarding this problem, please pass it on.

My recollection is that there are limit switches. If you stop the door when opening by blocking the door or try to open by hand while it is opening by the motor, the limits get fouled up. To resolve, open fully and then use the button to close and it should work after that.

I just read your problem concerning your rear hatch door. I experienced the same problem ONLY once, and it was immediately after I had my front windows tinted. At that time I had locked the windows (to avoid accidently rolling them down), and at that time I realized that this also disables the power rear hatch (from the key and the button on the dash). Next time you experience the problem make sure your window lock is unlocked...

This has been a random problem with my 330 and the only pattern that I have found so far is that if the rear hatch is not opened for a few days then neither the remote or the dash buttom will open the hatch. If I open the hatch manually and close it everything works again. This is an obvious problem as there have been others commenting on it. We have all had our cars for many months. I am still trying to figure out the pattern.

My wife and I are going to wait for the next failure and drive directly to Lexus for the second time to report this problem.

I had my ECU replaced today. The part number is 89222-00E011. Here is the TSIB info.

EL002-04 - Power Back Door Inoperative (Updated April 5, 2004)

Serial Numbers: 2WD - Japan 27908, Canada 5492; 4WD - Japan 54350, Canada 8100

Symptoms are intermittent periods of inoperation of the power back door unit. Manual operation of the door may fix the problem temporarily. Computer does not throw a DTC code. Fix is a new ECU computer control module for the back door.

• Like 1

There has finally been an officially TB released by Lexus. So, if Lexus service departments should know about it the part replacement now. Just FYI. My Lexus dealer has ordered me a new part. Thanks to all that replied. Your assistance is appreciated. :D

• 4 weeks later...

yes, I have been waiting for two weeks now I had to show the dealer this thread to convince him that there was an issue. Interesting how we have to train the Lexus service folks. This is the best forum. :(

Kevin

Hey, Kevin,

Well, when my Lexus service manager finally saw that Lexus had released a TB, he ordered the part and when I took my car in a week or so later, the part was there. After the unit was replaced, I've had no further problems with the trunk release. :D Be persistent. I had to be until the service manager finally saw the TB for himself.

If your Lexus service manager still insists he doesn't know what you're talking about, try another Lexus dealer until you find one who knows what you are talking about. Good luck! I also agree that this forum rox!

B)

Harley