When To Trade In Or Sell?

kmammas

I've owned my 2003 lx 470 for 12 years now. I have over 230,000 miles. In the past few weeks I've taken it for some minor body work, have all all the lights upgraded to HID. The insurance co is replacing my windshield next week, due to a crack. I am now shopping for new tires/rims. Yesterday, I was told by the dealer that I need new from breaks and given an estimate of around 1100. A few months ago, I had a flat tire in the middle of no where. Never happened to me before, so I got the manual and was going to change the flat tire only to find out that the lock on the spare under the truck was totally rusted out and I could not turn it to lower the spare, a spare I never used. I had to call AAA, the only thing that could be done, was that the car had to be towed 20 miles away, the flat repaired, then towed back to me. I let the dealer know that I was upset by this and why this was never checked when I go for every service required for the past 12 years spending countless thousands. The didn't seem to care and was told that I needed to upgrade to a new method that uses a chain to lower the spare, that will run me over 300.

I really enjoy my car. That is why I keep it up. I have two young children that can do countless things on the back seat. I have a large Chesapeake Bay Retriever that loves to hang out in the back, it's like his territory. I'm a little leery of getting a brand new car and worrying about these things. But at the same time, 230,000 miles is a lot. I guess my biggest fear is when can the transmission go? Does anyone have any idea? I can only imagine how much this would cost. I know if I sell, I would only get pennies compared to what I spent. I also have the night vision, which I do use when I drive to our weekend home in PA.

Maybe I can keep it around for a few more years? What advise do you have for me?

Thank you.

Take it to the Toyota dealer for brakes and other items. My Toyota dealer can do 1 axle which includes resurfacing rotors without removing them, brakes, cleaning, fluid etc for under 250. I am in ct, and right now they have a 20% deal on brakes that they emailed me on, specials come and go. The lexus dealer in my area is a rip off, the Toyota dealer can do everything they can, its basically a land cruiser. Just make sure its a reputable Toyota dealer. Mine is fine.

I'm a 66 year old lifelong car salesman, every car I take in trade has to have some type of repairs done before reselling it. Because I've owned/repaired over 30,000 cars during my career I've learned where to take vehicles for certain type of needed repairs. A brake job is something any independent shop ( ie: $65.00 guy vs $ 125 hourly rate guy ) can do to your Lexus. There is no need to use Toyota Branded brake parts, get your parts from a local Advance Auto or Pep Boys or O'Reilly's etc, just be sure you ask for " OEM " quality parts. The aftermarket parts stores usually have 2 or 3 quality levels of parts, again - ask for OEM quality. And a PS to you: don't ever resurface a brake rotor, a new rotor is around 25 to 50 bucks each. Your old rotor can be machined/ground so it's straight again but there's a good chance it has suffered damage from high temperature braking which can remove the "hardness" temper from the metal which causes it to become a soft metal and it will wear out much quicker than a new rotor.

Hey Kmammas,

230k is nothing for an LX. Remember the LX is the best vehicle toyota makes. It is the most expensive vehicle beside that silly LS hybrid.

My aunt 1997 ES300 has 249k and still runs fine.

We just had the brakes changed and a tuneup a few months ago. Now she runs like new again.

My dad 1996 LS400 also has about 240k. He had the timing belt and major tune up at Lexus dealer about a year ago. Mechanically in great shape. But the interior is a mess since he did not take care of it. The leather is cracking.

Back to the LX. Why are you worried about the transmission? Do you have the fluid changed every 30k miles or 3 years? If you do, it should be find.

Again, the LX/Land cruiser is a rock solid body on frame vehicle.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I just wasn't sure if there was any sort of time frame with something like the transmission. Everything has a life span. I take the car for every service, and I always go to my dealer. Even though it cost a lot more, I've had problems and have been scammed by outside auto places. So over the past 12 years I've spent a fortune on services. Sometimes as much as 3,000 for one service, like the 90,000 mile service with breaks and tires. I used to take much better care of the car than I do now. It's more difficult with a 7 and 9 year old and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and my work. My interior is not the greatest. My cream colored leather is cracking. I also have noticed that the chrome is bubbling up around the edges of the shift plate and on a interior door handle. I search online to see that you have to buy the complete shift plate and you just can't buy the border. Also, one of my fog lights, on the passenger side is letting water in. I've thought about changing the leather seats in the front, I did it once, it was under warranty because the leather was cracking and it was still under warranty, they tried painting it first because they said the seat cost 1000. The painting did not work, so they had to change the seat.

Now, my rims are peeling and deteriorating badly. I need new tires and will get rims. That's another issue. I can't seem to decide on rims. My local guy who has done things for me like put in a dvd player, rear camera, auto start, upgrading all my light to HDI, etc., told me it's not worth refinishing the rims, better to just buy new ones. I haven't decided what kind/type. The choices are pretty limited because of things like offset, bolt pattern and size. I want to stay with 18 inch. He doesn't recommend chrome because of our winters and the salt used here and I will not be changing tires between summer and winter. He is recommending a polished aluminum wheel that does look nice, but my understanding it will need much more care. I don't know if I want black? If you have any recommendations I would appreciate it. It has held me off from getting the new tires on.

But my point is, I really enjoy my car. It drives like it did from the beginning. But, will I be spending money every month as if I would be making car payments? I'm hoping that after this work I'm doing, minor body, rims. I'll be OK for a while. Do I spend thousands on changing leather seats? It all adds up. That's my concern. I know a new one probably goes for around 90,000 and I don't know if they even offer the night vision anymore.

Once again, I enjoy communicating with a fellow lexus owner. I've owned a lexus for the past 20 years, my first has an ls 400, then my spouse is on a second rx.

Thank you.