Back Parking Assist Sensor

Have a 2012 Lexus GX 460. Backed into a car and now my back right parking sensor is cracked. Had to turn off Parking Assist due to getting error. Need to replace the sensor. Got estimated of $800 from one place and $1000 from another. They will also buff out scratch. Can we order and replace this ourselves? Will it need to be programmed or is it a plug and play type thing.

Thanks

Hi GA,

Your situation is one that I've only heard about a couple of times in the past. The biggest problem to answer is do you have to take off the bumper to take out the old and put in the new.

Did either of the places's tell you if they would need to take off the bumper? Two hunred dollars is a pretty big spread for the repair. Members of the Club are able to purchase Lexus parts from a Lexus outlet in Dallas, TX. The name of the seller is Sewell Lexus. When you register be sure to tell them you are a member of the Lexus Owners Club. Sewell gives an excellent discount to our Club members.

They should be able to sell you the parts and answer some question as well.

Come back and let us know what you found out.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the information. Both places said they had to take the bumper off to replace the sensor. One estimate was $800 and one was $1000! They said the sensors was $275. I thought that was pretty high but being a female is a disadvantage in this area. I will definately contact Sewell. I really appreciate the contact. I don't remember my parking system telling me which sensor was faulty but I'll check. I assumed it was the back right since I back into a car. I know, I know, but it was dark and a black car. Need I say more?? I've learned that the sensors really work better than me looking! On a campaign to outlaw black cars now!! :)

The monitor that shows the mph (I don't know what a head monitor is) didn't tell me which sensor was bad but I know the back left ring that's around the sensor is cracked. It gives me the error "check sonar system" and the triangle with the ! point shows. I have the leave the parking assist off.

I'm wondering if I could change it out without taking off the bumper. $800 - $1000 is steep for such a small item. Also when I go online I don't see one my color, Cashmere Mist. Going to call Sewell Monday and talk to them.

GATeacher, if you need to isolate the faulty sensor, you can try this:

(1) the test procedures from the attached. Though, it's for LX570, this may work the same on GX460

(2) alternatively, ask someone to help you. Start the car, put the shift to "D", depress the brake pedal and apply the hand-brake. Ask someone to close the senors one by one with e.g. a hand. If the sensor is operative, you will hear a buzz. If the sensor is faulty, you shouldn't hear the buzz. For testing the rear sensors, you may need to shift from "D" to "R".

For changing the sensor, one indeed needs to remove the bumper. Though this may take a few hours, this is not THAT difficult. I would think the maximum of $300 for this work but would expect even less. I would expect around $150-200 would be a reasonable price. Try approaching some less expensive repair shops. In reality, the procedure is so simple, you don't need a "Lexus professional" to do it.

LEXUS 2008 LX570 Repair Manual (RM08F0U).pdf

• 5 months later...

The parking assist senson sits in a bezel and it is always the bezel that cracks and breaks. (I know because someone bumped into mine and broke it). A new bezel is $5 from a dealer. Then, you must pull off the bumper cover to install the new bezel. Taking off the bumper cover is quite easy. Once you get it loose, unplug the wiring harness and set the bumper cover on a blanket (to protect it from scratches). Put the new bezel on and then put the bumper cover back on. Simple as that. Easy to do in less than 1 hour.