More Chrome Flaking Off Wheels Of 2013 Gs350

As reported in a previous entry on this website back in November 2013, I had all four chrome wheels on my 2013 GS350 replaced without charge by dealer because of chrome flaking off of the wheels. Replacement wheels (4) were ordered and installed by dealer in December 2013.

Well it happened again- notice this weekend that one wheel's lug nut cavities (all five of them) had areas about the size of a quarter flaking off and leaving behind RUST.

I visited the dealer today and the service manager inspected and identified the problem as I did. Upon close inspection, all other wheels show no deterioration at this time.

The dealer has ordered a replacement wheel for me at no charge for wheel or install. Should take about 10 days or so to receive it.

Hope this is the end of that short series of problems.

Any one else having this problem?

Are these stock wheels or stock wheels that have been chromed by a vender? I have heard that has been a issue over the years on all cars. That is why I don't go chrome.

Dear Lenore-

The chrome wheels are on my Premium version 2013 GS350. In this case, the flaking off of chrome is confined to one wheel and only on all five lug nut openings. The wheels are stock wheels that Lexus buys from an outside vendor my service manger tells me.

According to the service manger, the technique for chroming wheels in modern times is different from the chroming baths used in the 50's, 60's and 70's as those old methods violated all newer environmental regulations. Thank all Californian leftists for that restriction. The current technique involves a powder coat on top of the iron surface of the wheel, then somehow chromed chemically (instead of electrolysis the OLD way) over that surface- it appears the technique is of questionable quality in my case.

yep that is what I understand, Mercedes was sending their wheels out for chroming, and yep same problem...Wish we could send all of the environmental wack jobs Siberia....

Internet searches of chrome durability in modern cars reveals this is an all-to-common problem. Seems like Mercedes owners have enough problems with their trashy electronics systems, they do not need wheel deterioration problems on top of that.

Get only quality links from highly ranked websites. That is to say, only soon after the consumer downloads the Alexa toolbar and install it into his browser, will the document of stop by be counted as portion of the website traffic of the web-site visited when he visits that internet site. I read that and I immediately felt a knot in my stomach, knowing that I had totally missed the boat.

my web page; http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/seoservicelondon.org (simply click the next internet page)