Rx300 - Stereo Change

Hi,

perhaps you will be able to help me find an answer to my problem.

I got 1st gen RX300 with stereo (without sat nav) looking like this:

2qaldhg.jpg

I would like to replace display and radio itself with this model:

ou8x2w.jpg

Is this doable and how difficult?

Fist I would like to get model (as shown on the second picture) from UK. This way (if it can be easily replaced) I would get European radio frequencies and display showing me temperature in Celsius.

But before I go to ebay to get this new unit I want to make sure it will work.

My second problem is, that I just want to replace radio and display but I do not plan to buy and plug sat-nav. I have a great Lumia phone with proper sat-nav and I do not need extra one in car.

Do you have any knowledge on the issue.

I believe in US there were to versions (with cassette and one with sat-nav) as well. Do you know anyone who replaced one for the other?

Or perhaps you are friends with someone at Lexus dealership and your friend could check if plugs and sockets are compatible on both models?

I will appreciate any feedback you may have on this!

regards,

galtom

Can I ask why you'd want that when you could/should just get a double din that will not only out perform your stock one, but also give you a world of additional options that you will def.grow to appreciate. There cheap. Can easily be installed to look OEM, and most if not all come standard with GPS anyhow, you don't have to use it though lol...

• Like 1

Hi,

reason for this is very simple - I have not seen a double din radio that I could fit there. Also I do not know that it is even possible since radio is integrated with climate controls :-(

So, even I if would find radio that would fit - some nice 2 din set with display there is still an issue of temperature, control of aircon and top display :-(

Unless you know for the fact that it can be easily sorted (and how).

Currently it looks much easier to buy second hand unit like on picture 2 (display + radio) and replace it with existing one (pic 1) if all plugs and socket are compatible (that I doubt :-( ) and can work without GPS unit (normally in the boot) plugged in.

Galtom is correct. There is no possible way to install an aftermarket double din without completely ruining the OEM look of the RX300. Swapping out from a non-nav to a nav has been done but it is very VERY costly, and very labor intensive. I've seen a video on youtube before. Will try and post it if i find it again. I've seen the whole setup on ebay for sale at one point (someone must have been bored and decided to assemble one) and was selling it for about $2500 which included all the Nav computer, Screen, radio/climate controls, Nav antenna, and Nav amplifier.

If that seller would sell it again, $2500 for parts only plus oh maybe another $1000 for a labor with your local stereo shop (unless you are a DIY kind of a guy), this is roughly a $3k-$4k investment.

Hi,

Thanks for confirmation.

With the layout - separate display that integrates radio and climate control from actual radio and controls - there is no way to replace it with anything.

However I am not sure if you understand what I want to do. Form the prices on ebay or my local Polish auction sites it does not look that expensive.. problem is labour and if it will work.

I do want to replace non nav unit with nav unit BUT!!!! (this is the catch ;-) ), without navigation/gps unit itself.

Radio with display from such unit (second hand) can be bought in Poland / EU for about $100 - $150 so it is not that bad.

But second complication is (I am not sure how this would work if I would replace US radio with US nav radio unit - in the first place), that I want to replace US unit with European one...

I am afraid this all is way to complex :-(

However if you can find video you mentioned - I would be very grateful!!!!