Car Turns Off When Idling, All Dash Lights Are Out

Hey everyone,

I have a 1992 Lexus es300.

All of my dash lights went out when I started my car, and the AC doesn't work, nor the cigarette
lighter. They do not flash or turn back on. The needles and gauges don't move either.

The car starts great! It can go on the highway and drive like a dream.
But when idling at a red light, stop sign, or pulling into the drive
way, I hear a small click (like a light bulb noise) and the car completely shuts off, engine and all.

When all of this happened, here is what we did:

I did have a loose battery cable, so we changed that and both are new and secure now.

I replaced the air filter, which had been rough/hardened and moderately dirty.

We replaced the fuse related to the dashboard (not sure which one, but
you experts probably already know), and it started working.... the lights, needles, and gauges, as well as the A/C and cigarette lighter... until (DUM DUM DUMMMM......♫)
about 10 mins later the fuse blew. And then we tried again and it blew
again. So I am guessing I have a short.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would appreciate it like nothing else.

Also, this doesn't look right... Don't know what it is or why it's like this. It's just behind the radiator. #Helpasistah :blush:

thing2

THANKS!

EvaFearless,

You're going to have to take the car to a good independent mechanic who you trust. Lexus can do the same for you, but the end result will be more dollars from your purse.

Give the mechanic the history you gave here, and with a wiring diagram for your year and model ES, he will be able to track down the wiring harness or component in the loop that has shorted out. You've started on the right track to solve the issue, but it requires an expert's help at this point.

If you have a local shop that calls itself similar to "Kitt's Auto Electric" (a business near my location) , that would be a good bet also, as they do mainly electrical systems problems, rather than mechanical, and should get to the source of the problem much quicker, meaning less dollars. Good Luck!

• Like 1

EvaFearless,

You're going to have to take the car to a good independent mechanic who you trust. Lexus can do the same for you, but the end result will be more dollars from your purse.

Give the mechanic the history you gave here, and with a wiring diagram for your year and model ES, he will be able to track down the wiring harness or component in the loop that has shorted out. You've started on the right track to solve the issue, but it requires an expert's help at this point.

If you have a local shop that calls itself similar to "Kitt's Auto Electric" (a business near my location) , that would be a good bet also, as they do mainly electrical systems problems, rather than mechanical, and should get to the source of the problem much quicker, meaning less dollars. Good Luck!

Thanks so much, Gene. Will do!!

Also keep your treatment sciatica back happy. Another important aspect is to review your routine daily activities and lifestyle for fear of doing further harm. Even the pillow is too small at birth, symptoms of sciatica? Just be a little difficult for the person. About four out of five adults will experience at some point.

Review my web-site; sciatica nerve treatment