Failed Pneumatic Pistons That Hold The Hood Up

lex

mine haven't broken. but then again there's been about 1 or 2 accidents to the front which basically had the pneumatics changed. so my pneumatics are only maybe a year old. :) but the front still looks wrong...

This is as easy as changing out wiper blades. Very DIY.

Go to any Autozone, PepBoys, etc. Look for the "Mighty Lift" display rack/stand. "Strong Arm" is another brand. It is usually next to the windshield wipers and the window rain guards.

Look up your car in the book. Find the appropriate lift that needs replacing. Find it in stock. If not here, have store order it. I have done this on cars other than Lexus. I do not know if the proper support is available for a 1992 ES 300. But before you go to the Lexus part man, look here.

These aftermarket lifts usually run about $29 to $40 each. Instructions for removal and installation are usually printed on the packaging or inside the package.

If worse comes to worse, you may have to buy the OEM one, but save yourself the installation cost, do this yourself.

good luck.

steviej

Thanks stevie, I've checked the catalogs online for a few of these aftermarket manufacturers of gas charged lift supports, Mighty-Lift, Strong Arm, Max Lift, and Sachs. But none seem to carry any info/part numbers for the 92 ES300, does anyone know if its the same as the Toyota Camry?

Find out how much a Lexus part would be from a Toyota parts counter in a service center that is Lexus certified. That may be cheaper than the Lexus parts guy.

I just found out the Toyota dealership in the big AutoMall 25 minutes from my house is Lexus certified.

steviej

• 1 year later...
Thanks stevie, I've checked the catalogs online for a few of these aftermarket manufacturers of gas charged lift supports, Mighty-Lift, Strong Arm, Max Lift, and Sachs. But none seem to carry any info/part numbers for the 92 ES300, does anyone know if its the same as the Toyota Camry?

Camry does not fit. I do not know of any solution other than the Lexus part or modifying the mounting to accept Camry or other. I looked at the work to modify the mount and opted for the Lexus parts, about $200 per pair.

Of course you could carry a prop stick in the trunk, as I did for years. Works good!

I replaced one of my gas struts for my 93 ES with a 93 Camry part from Pep Boys. Top part(bolt) was easy swap but bottom part had to be modified to fit Camry pin mount. Removed bottom bracket and drilled out the Lex bracket pin. Pin needs to be drilled out. Took some work to get all of old pin out. Installed the new pin, washer, and clip. Bolted new top bolt mount and re-installed old Lex lower bracket. Done...