03 Instrument Cluster

theazz

Guys need help 2003 SC430

I saw on line that some people had brightened up their instrument cluster (which we all know is not very bright). So I took out my cluster and surprise no normal light bulbs but instead soldered in (looks like LED ) . Does anyone know of anyone who does these modifications so I can send my cluster to them. Looking for brighter light.

Thanks

theazz

Unfortunately it's not the brightness of the SMDs (a variation of LEDs) that illuminate the numbering of the cluster in the SC430, but the number of them. The SMDs Lexus use on all of their newer ('01+) clusters are extremely bright, and i have yet to find an aftermarket SMD working on the same voltage that's brighter.

Have you considered installing a cluster for the '06-'12 SC430? I'm not positive, but i'd be willing to bet it can be easily modified to fit into the '02-'05 SC430.

Good idea about the newer cluster. I just talked to a guy in Texas who does the retrofit. I saw on you tube his retrofit (or replacing) of the original SMT to a brighter one in blue and it looks good. I've sent off my cluster so I'll keep everyone posted . Important-if your trying to remove the cluster get the plastic molding removal tool needed. Everything is plastic and a simple screwdriver doesn't work.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll I had blue smd (stands for surface mount led) installed on my 03 instrument cluster . It looks great but as was said for 02-05 SC's

Lexus just didn't design enough smd's on these cars so during the day the dash is darker than I would like and there doesn't seem to be a solution. The guy who changed mine out said the same thing as did cdluk.

Also doesn't look like I can swap an 06-10 cluster ( 6 speed transmission etc)

Bummer

My car has 93000 miles, is it time for new bushings in the front end?