General faq - and audio links

AWJ

Afew Helpfull tips while installing your NEW Sounds System.

1. fron speakers Fosgate 4 inch components fir perfectly into original housing (but u need some type of rubber to put around the speaker cause the hole is slightly bigger than 4 inch. and the NEW tweeters can be screwed into original location

2. rear deck the 4 inh speakers were swapped for alpine type S 6 1/2 components

(they com with lifting brackets which allows them to sit right with outh cutting open the sheet metal.

3. 10 inch sub Pioneer free air use the original brackets and a dremil to customize the fit. alittle tricky but once its in it works like a charm.

4. Run speaker and RCA cables down the middle not on the sides. (theres more room down the middle) (run the power on the left drivers side) theres a hole already there that can go directly into the hood of the car.

5. Hole to pass wires through trunk upper right hand side after u take out seats.

I couldnt find an adapter for the old radio harness so i just did it the old fashion way.

POWER = BLUE /YELLOW Wire

GROUND = BROWN Wire

ACC = GREY Wire

ANT = BLUE/WHITE wire.

And thats all you need to know

• 2 months later...

I might be beating a dead horse but I just bought my 92sc400 and I just installed my radio in the dash and it used a normal toyota radio harness. if I remember right its a 70-1764(I will have to double check) But its just a basic 89 and newer toyota harness that could be purchased at CC or BB. I also know how to make the factory sub work after installing a new head unit. If anyone is interested I can post some info. Just as an FYI I install audio/video/security products for a living. :)

I might be beating a dead horse but I just bought my 92sc400 and I just installed my radio in the dash and it used a normal toyota radio harness. if I remember right its a 70-1764(I will have to double check) But its just a basic 89 and newer toyota harness that could be purchased at CC or BB. I also know how to make the factory sub work after installing a new head unit. If anyone is interested I can post some info. Just as an FYI I install audio/video/security products for a living. :)

Pics please!

Well I just did the install tonight, and it isnt complete. I am ordering a 7" wide screen monitor to flush mount in the dash below the radio. So right now there is a hole below the radio. I have/had the pioneer system so I dont know how different it would be with the nak system. Please forgive me I am new to the SC world and I dont know all of the options that were available for them.

• 2 months later...

I'm adding these links since a lot of us are experiencing Control Arm and Sway bar problems with our SCs.

Courtesy from Mr Curious and BMAN1113:

www.expressautodismantling.com

323-222-6499

909-356-5050

Estimated Cost of a refurbished Control Arm: $175

------------

www.tmengineering.net--Under Suspension, Click on Diazen

Estimated Cost: $99-500

SC Toy and I are adding:

VFT Bushes

Andrew Vlamos

Mob 0411 227007 (Brisbane)

Estimated Cost :

Cost of the four lower control arm bushes :- $370.00

Cost of packing and shipping express $48.00 (for shipping to USA = 3 days)

Total cost AUD $418.00 convert currency > http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

• 3 years later...

i want to buy a sc300 but i don't know if it's worth the price the seller is trying to sell it for. it's a pearl white 97 sc300. 140k miles on it. rock made a hole in the headlight, seems like oil is leaking from the engine but the owner said it's because of oil changes, small dent on quarter panel, small rip on driver seat and the usual crack on both of the doors. everything else looks good. he is asking 8,700 and will only drop the price to 8,600. the seller sounds like a liar and wants a quick sell. should i buy it or keep looking?

• 3 months later...
i want to buy a sc300 but i don't know if it's worth the price the seller is trying to sell it for. it's a pearl white 97 sc300. 140k miles on it. rock made a hole in the headlight, seems like oil is leaking from the engine but the owner said it's because of oil changes, small dent on quarter panel, small rip on driver seat and the usual crack on both of the doors. everything else looks good. he is asking 8,700 and will only drop the price to 8,600. the seller sounds like a liar and wants a quick sell. should i buy it or keep looking?

Thats too suspicious, you should always go with your gut feeling, or if he really is telling the truth, test him to see if he is. Tell him you want him to bring the car to a lexus dealer and have a 120point inspection done on it, and if it comes out clean THEN you will buy it for his asking price. Either way, your gut feeling you should always rely on, if you feel like he's lying he probably is. Idk if it helps any but i bought my 1992 SC400 for 6,800 and its absolutely MINT no dent no scratch, factory paint, interior is like factory its so clean, leather is perfect, electronics are perfect, 133,700 miles on it, and runs like a p'ed off lion. lol, there are def better deals out there buddy! ;)

Hello guys new here. Great posts and information you have here! The sc has always been my all time favorate vehicle to ever have/own. I am finally getting one and going to enjoy her for a longtime. Look forward to posting and sharing thoughts and ideas.

don't know if I'm posting in the right place. I recently bought a 1992 sc400 with 180k, a damaged rear end and a salvage title for 2700. I'm debating whether I should take it as a lesson, dump the car and get another one and/or put money on my other vehicle, a 1988 toyota supra turbo rare hard top) or try to fix this car up. the damage on the rear will cost me around 1000 to 1500 to fix (could be more). my plans, if I keep it, would be to leave it NA, but change the transmission to manual either a R154 or a V160, depends what's available, (getting the adapter) getting an LSD diff. from a mk4supra. doing the homemade intake. buying after market exhaust, injectors from mk3 supra, fuel pump upgrade, piggy back, ignition manager, eichbach suspension, racing seats, Carbon fiber hood and Maaaaaaybe even the doors.... all would cost me around $8000 to $12000 I believe. So, what would you do?

A: Don't bother spending a single cent on it, and sell it cheap.

B: Spend the money on it.

if I do get rid of it and get another one, I may just keep it stock and put the money on the Supra.

• 11 months later...
Post your ideas/experience/information and they will be placed here.

Hello all. I bought a '93 SC400 about 3 months ago from an auction for $2800. Very straight car and runs great with 177,000 miles - GREAT DEAL!!! I had to fix the power steering (new rack, new hoses, new pump) and the trunk lid. I had to install new shocks, new brakes, and new tires. Now, I need to fix the following and appreciate any pointers all of you might have:

1. Heater - fan blows but no heat. Replaced the thermostat (cheap and easy) with no joy. Before I pull the engine to replace the heater coil, any ideas from anyone who may have experienced this before?

2. Side mirrors - cannot adjust electronically. Is there a fuse? If so, where can I find it?

3. Radiator - Any tips on where to find the best product?

4. Center console temp control panel - Where can I find one of these?

5. Need new key(s) and ECU - any pointers on where I can find the best priced options?

6. Front speakers extremely weak and rear speakers weak when volume knob turned beyond half-way up - ????

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers!!

Krist

• 7 months later...

Howdie all, I'm a newby. Found a beautiful SC 300. I is a '97 w/121k on the odometer. After looking for required maint items, I do not see that the 6-cyl engine is required to have a new timing belt, ever - - but if it is a SC 400 and some pretty severe demands on the vehicle the timing belt should be periodically changed. And as I do not yet have a shop manual - I'm looking for some advice. Anyone want to chime in on an option from a person that isn't out to make $800 in labor. BTW there is nothing in the paperwork that came with the car mentioning any service, the car is in very nice condition. :( thanks junojim :unsure:

• 3 months later...

Hey, I wish I could post anything useful but all I have are problems I'm trying to resolve...

Here's a weird one: The radio works for a few minutes then it starts to fade until the sound goes out.

However, the CD player works just fine and has no problems. So at least I know the CD power amp

is good. I'm wondering if the radio has a separate amp? Anybody ever hear of this problem?

Any help would be appreciated. B)

• 8 months later...

i got a question, i have been trying to find a cool air intake for my sc400 but they dont make them. i am not a big fan of the short ram due to the fact that you get more hp from a cool air, is there anyway you can make a modified one? and if so how and what material would i need? thank you :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey, I wish I could post anything useful but all I have are problems I'm trying to resolve...

Here's a weird one: The radio works for a few minutes then it starts to fade until the sound goes out.

However, the CD player works just fine and has no problems. So at least I know the CD power amp

is good. I'm wondering if the radio has a separate amp? Anybody ever hear of this problem?

Any help would be appreciated. cool.gif

your amplifier is on the way out. located in the trunk and can be repaired or replaced pretty easy...

i got a question, i have been trying to find a cool air intake for my sc400 but they dont make them. i am not a big fan of the short ram due to the fact that you get more hp from a cool air, is there anyway you can make a modified one? and if so how and what material would i need? thank you biggrin.gif

The BFI is the best bang for the buck. Can be found on Ebay for 80 if you are not good with your hands on making stuff. I have personally met this guy and is straight up, he is located in GA.

• 4 years later...

Literally just bought a used 92 SC400. 135k miles, timing belt changed at 62k. Not sure when the last oil change or anything was. The car was owned by one owner and it sat in their garage until they sold it.

My only current issue is the radio won't turn on. At all. Everything else works. Lights, moonroof, HVAC, etc. The radio is the only thing that doesn't work, lol. I'll note that it has a brand new battery, which is probably why the dash lights go insane while idling but as soon as I drive, they stop.

Any ideas with the radio?