Gs350 - I Can't Believe It's A Lexus

Yesterday, March 27, 2014, I happend to drive by my Lexus dealer. And when I got in front of the lot there was this out the world, drop-dead gorgeous platinum Lexus like I have never seen before.Now I'll grant you I probably don't get out as much as I should, and as the owner of 3 ES350's and 1- RX350 you can tell I kind of like sedans. But I would wash down the grease racks every night at that dealer if they would just let drive it home every night.

The GS350 is a knock-out in the styling category. The molded, folded, angled, line makes it look dangerous just sitting still. Even the choice of wheels says "I fooled you. I am a Lexus."

Yes, it will take a year or so to tally the bugs and things the engineers should have done better. But holy cow Bat Man, with looks like this, I still would wipe down the grease racks and make the payments as well.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Paul

I felt immediately at home in the GS350 I looked at ... probably because it has exactly the same wheelbase, and nearly identical interior dimensions, trunk space and engine power as my 2000 LS400. It felt just right and much better than the bloated LS460/LS460L. I'm not understanding, however, why Toyota cannot not offer PCS and adaptive cruise on their less expensive all-wheel drive vehicles like the GS. But if I was going to buy another RWD 4-door sedan, a GS350 with PCS and adaptive cruise would be at the top of my list.

Actually you can get PCS and adaptive cruise on the GS. It's rare, and generally special order only but they do exist. My dealer had one when I bought mine, but at $67k it was more than I wanted to spend lol.

Actually you can get PCS and adaptive cruise on the GS. It's rare, and generally special order only but they do exist. My dealer had one when I bought mine, but at $67k it was more than I wanted to spend lol.

But PCS and adaptive cruise don't seem to be available on the AWD version of the GS350 which was what I wanted if I were to buy another four door sedan. The only AWD Lexus sedan with PCS and adaptive cruise seems to be the LS460L and I neither want to spend that much or buy a car that steers like a cruise ship.

If Toyota can put PCS and adaptive cruise on our lowly $37,000 (retail price) Prius wagon, I don't understand why they can't offer it on all their more expensive Lexus and Toyota models.

The way in which Lexus is chosing to equip and offer different options for what are basically the same car only with a diffrent sheet metal covering, is "cu-coo".

Sitting in my 2013 ES350, and then going over and sitting in our 2013 RX350 you would think there would be mostly similar features since they were equiped with the same package level. You would be wrong Earthling.

Both have Parking Assist. The button to activate it or turn it off is in plain sight to the left of the steering wheel on the ES The Rx also has the same feature. There is no on/off button. You have to scroll through one of the menus using a button on the steering wheel. That means you have to take your eyes off the road more often to turn the feature on or off.

The settings dials for the heated/cooled seats on the ES are at the front of the console where you can see them. On the RX the're back under the lip of the console lid. You have to bend your head and look down to change the setting.

There are several other things that are just irritating, but it appears they moved some of the 2013 features to the RX but didn't really give it the full treatment.

I think a lot of the issue with your RX Paul is that its really a 4 year old vehicle vs the ES which was all new for 2013. The all new RX when it comes out in a couple years will have the latest control interfaces, etc....

As for RCC/PCS, you can indeed get them on the AWD GS. The one my dealer had was AWD, and there are several members on CL that have AWD 4GS's with RCC & PCS. Rare, but does exist.

I've been surprised at how rare "RCC & PCS" seem to be on larger Lexus vehicles. I considered "settling" for a SWB LS460 with radar adaptive cruise and PCS a couple of months ago but the Lexus dealer could not find a single one with those features. They are common on the LWB LS460L and LX570.

I'll start a new thread and post photos of the replacement for my 2000 LS400 when it arrives. (Don't spill the beans, Paul!) It will, of course, have radar adaptive cruise and PCS. It is going to be a tight fit in the garage where the LS400 has been sitting - its power folding mirrors are going to be important in getting it in and out.

Yeah I don't know. It's almost like Lexus is afraid of offering cars that are up in the upper price points? They always seem to pull their punches at the top end of the range.

So you have affirmatively replaced the LS? Hmm...I'm sure it's a Toyota product. I would guess the new Highlander but no HID. AWD...Hmm...

That's probably right. I'm suprised though that Lexus would be able to milk out four more years out of an already some what dated cabin design an body style. I always wonder how the RX continues to be the best seller for Lexus when the overall body style hasn't changed in years. Yes, the rear tail light treatment has changed, the front end has gone through makeovers, but put them all side by side, you could easily chose that they are all RX's

Paul

The above is in response to Stephen's thread. The threads for Stephen and Jim must have poped up while I was writting this. LOL

I've been surprised at how rare "RCC & PCS" seem to be on larger Lexus vehicles. I considered "settling" for a SWB LS460 with radar adaptive cruise and PCS a couple of months ago but the Lexus dealer could not find a single one with those features. They are common on the LWB LS460L and LX570.

I'll start a new thread and post photos of the replacement for my 2000 LS400 when it arrives. (Don't spill the beans, Paul!) It will, of course, have radar adaptive cruise and PCS. It is going to be a tight fit in the garage where the LS400 has been sitting - its power folding mirrors are going to be important in getting it in and out.

Do not worry mien capitan!! I will guard your homeland and tho secrets with my very life!!!!

Yeah I don't know. It's almost like Lexus is afraid of offering cars that are up in the upper price points? They always seem to pull their punches at the top end of the range.

So you have affirmatively replaced the LS? Hmm...I'm sure it's a Toyota product. I would guess the new Highlander but no HID. AWD...Hmm...

Yes, my 2000 LS400 has been "sold" to the same person who bought my 1990 LS400 in 2003 but I still have possession until he makes room for it in his garage next to his GX which may be about the time my new one arrives here. It is supposed to arrive at the port on April 8. It's cool how auto dealers can track progress and location of vehicles from the moment of order, through the manufacturing process and transit but I suppose it is no different from tracking a package shipped by UPS or FedEx . No, I will never buy another vehicle with halogen headlights - at least not with low beam halogens.

That's probably right. I'm suprised though that Lexus would be able to milk out four more years out of an already some what dated cabin design an body style. I always wonder how the RX continues to be the best seller for Lexus when the overall body style hasn't changed in years. Yes, the rear tail light treatment has changed, the front end has gone through makeovers, but put them all side by side, you could easily chose that they are all RX's

The RX isn't too old, the current body style came out in 2009 as a 2010 model. The current LS came out in 2006 as a 2007 model! I was surprised when they refreshed that body a second time, although I do like the result.

Yes, my 2000 LS400 has been "sold" to the same person who bought my 1990 LS400 in 2003 but I still have possession until he makes room for it in his garage next to his GX which may be about the time my new one arrives here. It is supposed to arrive at the port on April 8. It's cool how auto dealers can track progress and location of vehicles from the moment of order, through the manufacturing process and transit

At least you're keeping it in the family so to speak!

Hmm...maybe its not a Toyota/Lexus product...it "arrives in the port"...so its new not used, and at least its probably not a Toyota...as most of them are built here. Unless its another Prius V or something...which I wouldn't put past you...but you said it would be hard to get it to fit in your garage with the auto folding mirrors. Its bigger than the LS400...at least wider...but you said you didn't want to spend as much as an LS460L AWD...so that precludes like an LX.

Hmm...I'm perplexed!

We certainly didn't want to spend as much as an LS460L with PCS and radar cruise costs.

Wife is already talking about sitting with her legs up in the ottoman style right rear seat, closing the window shades and watching movies on one of the video screens while I chauffer her from KC to Des Moines and back over Memorial Day weekend. Power door closers will be nice - wife never seems to get a car door shut on the first try.

We were behind a 2014 GS350 AWD in stop-and-go traffic yesterday coming back from an important shopping trip to replace my broken wine bottle foil cutter. My wife asked if I had considered buying one (the GS350 AWD - not the foil cutter) and I told her that I had. She then said something like ... "Well if you had bought one you would have to continue to deal with the (mild expletive deleted) Lexus dealer."

The 2014 GS350 looks nice in photographs and in a showroom but it looks stunning on the road - especially from the back. I can't get over how its interior and exterior dimmensions are nearly identical to my 2000 LS400.

And about my new "ride" which I should be getting in two weeks. The Hyundai Equus doesn't have a nice skyward view for both front and rear passengers with the front glass roof panel opening and sliding rearward above the rear panel.

Yeah I really love my GS...I too like the rear which I actually didn't care for at first...

Another thing thats the same as your 2000 LS400 is unfortunately the price LOL. My GS cost almost exactly what my dad's 98 LS cost (~$60,000). Obviously, that was long ago.

Hmm....I'm stumped. I can't think of another vehicle that:

1. Has an ottomaned right rear seat

2. Has rear seat entertainment

3. Has HIDs

4. Has a full glass roof

5. Costs less than an LS460L AWD

6. Is not built in the US...and would arrive at a port

I would guess (shudder) a Toyota Sienna (I know you've mentioned it before!) but they're made in Kentucky.

Although...you did say you didn't WANT to spend as much as an LS460L AWD...not that you DIDN'T. Hmm...

I never said that the new vehicle has a full glass roof - only that both front and rear passengers have a view of the sky and that the front part opens and slides backward above the roof. Nor does the new vehicle have power closers on all doors.

Yes (gasp!), it is a fully loaded Sienna which the dealer said was to arrive at Toyota's "port" in Indiana on April 8 (yesterday) where the accessories I ordered are/were to be installed: 3,500 lb. trailer hitch and wiring harness, door edge guards, protective hood film, mudflaps, etc.

It's essentially a $27,000 (retail) 7-passenger Sienna with $24,000 (retail) of options and accessories - PCS, radar cruise, HID headlights, ottoman rear seating, dual screen video with remote and two DVD players, memory driver seat, upgraded navigation and audio, two sun roofs, rain sensing wipers, etc. Of course it has a white exterior - the only color we buy.

There are a few features missing that I would like to have but which are not available - headlight washers, "Lane Keep Assist", a drivers seat memory that includes the steering wheel and seat belt anchor height, more adjustments on the front passenger seat including a lumbar support.

The Sienna Limited purchase is part of retirement planning that includes eventually transporting our animals and most important possessions from Kansas to a new Florida home. Wife says that maybe I can get a fun car - I'm thinking of just one more 2-seat convertible. It's been 41 years since I had a 2-seat convertible and I've mostly forgotten how much of a PITA they can be.

We had a deposit on a fully optioned $60,000++ Acura MDX AWD until my wife read about the rust issues of previous model years. And then I started reading about rust issues on MDX forums. And the delivery date kept slipping. I liked the MDX a LOT!!! It is incredibly fun to drive. My wife loved it. (It was to be white!) I was almost having an anxiety attack when I cancelled the MDX purchase the day after I committed to the Sienna. Did I say that I loved the MDX?

Sorry for the let-down Steve and others. I was thinking my new vehicle was starting to sound like an Mercedes S-Class!

If the 2014 GS350 was available as a "station wagon" ...

See the "port" thing is what threw me off or I would have guessed the Sienna!

Not sure how excited I can be for you for this one buddy ;)

Steve, would you have been "excited" if it had been an RX350? We have spent quite a lot of time in Sienna rentals and a lesser amount of time in RX loaners and the two vehicles seem amazing similar in many respects. Could it be because they are both made by Toyota?

The FWD RX350 and Sienna share the same drive train and have exactly the same EPA fuel economy rating. According to the specs the RX350 is a few tenths of a decibel quieter at 70 mph. I don't notice a difference in build quality and the quality of interior materials between the RX and the Sienna Limited and I am fairly obsessive ... but I have not inspected them side by side.

I tried to consider an RX but its abbreviated rear space and poor rear/side view from the driver seat were the main aspects that put me off. The much longer (11 1/2 inches) wheelbase of the Sienna seems to address the forward and backward "pitching" on bumps and road undulations that I dislike in the RX.

I have wanted a third row seat ever since I attended a family reunion in southern Ontario where I packed a Sienna with newly met cousins and drove around for several days visiting family historical sites. It was like a rolling living room.

I've been driving the past 24 years with Toyota license plate frames on my Lexus LS cars. Maybe I'll put a Lexus license plate frame on the Sienna. :closedeyes:

You know we're buds right! BUT, I'm just not much of a minivan guy. While I certainly acknowledge their utility with a flat load floor, configurable seating, ample seating, etc, and while I acknowledge I likely will own one when we have a kid in the family...I'm just not a fan. I am a fan of three rows, we also like to drive family around when we're visiting and I often have wanted three rows. When we replace the Jeep this year or next year 3 rows is high on the list of important wants. It would just be really, really hard for me to trade that Jeep in on a van....especially without kids, etc.

Aside from the style aspects of it, I just don't care for the seating/driving position, etc. I guess I'm also still a little snobbish when it comes to cars, being as much of a car guy as I am...its important to me that a car I own be something that I look at and really enjoy owning, driving around, caring for, looking forward to driving, etc. Its a big part of my life...I just don't see me feeling that way about a van. thats one big reason I just had to get rid of our Prius.

I'm pretty happy with our automobile situation right now I gotta say, I like having the Lexus for work and such, and the Jeep for trips and weekends and outdoor type stuff. My wife wants another Prius...but I told her to look forward to when I'm dead and she can drive whatever she likes lol

I drove beside another 2014 GS350 AWD for about five minutes on the way home in stop and go traffic tonight - must have been "deep sea mica". Just ahead of it was a 2013-14 ES350. The back ends of the two cars look more similar than I remembered.

There haven't been many RWD GS cars around here since 2006 when AWD was first available. I would bet that an AWD version of the ES would be popular if it was available. Why is the ES the only Lexus sedan not available with AWD?

I'll try not to hit any concrete trucks in the new Sienna. The Sienna's safety ratings were a factor in the purchase decision.