200K Maintenance

jlh314

I have a 2001 lx70 with 200k miles. No probs but need to replace the timing belt as a matter of maintenance. Mechanic also wants to do a bunch of other stuff at the same time (thermostat, camshaft seal, water pump replacement, etc) to the tune of approx. $1700. In a small town and don't know if this sounds in line. Love the car, been maintained, would like to save it for 300k miles! Any thoughts?

I have a 2001 lx70 with 200k miles. No probs but need to replace the timing belt as a matter of maintenance. Mechanic also wants to do a bunch of other stuff at the same time (thermostat, camshaft seal, water pump replacement, etc) to the tune of approx. $1700. In a small town and don't know if this sounds in line. Love the car, been maintained, would like to save it for 300k miles! Any thoughts?

Hi Judy and welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

Sounds like you've got a keeper! I think I understand what your wieghing your decision about, and every owners goes through this process at some point along the line. The question isn't really is the car worth putting $1,700 dollars into it, the question is is the car worth the $1,700 to YOU to put it into the car. In other words do you want to keep the car bad enough to put that money in to keepit running like new.

Once you answer that, if you have said yes, get competive bids. Call a Lexus dealer and tell them you want a price for doing this and that. You should probably get a second opinion on what work it needs. Always ask your friends or others for reccomendations on who would they trust to work on their car.

Try a Toyota dealer. They may be able to help you at a lower cosst.

Let us know how things are going.

Paul