Odometer Counting Super Fast!

My odometer is counting too fast. the rest of the cluster works but the odo count is off. The odo counts properly only on the freeway. Any advice on this please and thank you (oh according to the record engine was swapped for another 2jzge)

My odometer is counting too fast. the rest of the cluster works but the odo count is off. The odo counts properly only on the freeway. Any advice on this please and thank you (oh according to the record engine was swapped for another 2jzge)

Hey Seane, and welcome to the LOC.

Thats an interesting problem. You say that according to the service records the car has had the engine swaped out once before. Does this mean that this is a pre-owned Lexus, but you just got it?

If in fact that is the case, did the car do this when the former owner had it? If the Odometer just started acting up, what was the thing you noticed that suddenly made you aware?

These are a lot of questions I know, but on any given day, most people can't even tell you where the ODO is, let alone know if it's under or over. What I'm trying to figure out at first, is at what point did the problem start, about when it started, nor I thiink it was when. ......No On what precise DAY did it start. I know this is asking a lot, but by knowing that we can know what events were going on, was it in your hands or the former owner, were larger wheels put on the car when they swaped engines.

Please write back. Also, hopefuly others who actually know something will chime in.

Paul

Yea it's a pre owned/ like what made me realize was when I glanced at the odo it was at 76661 then after that it jumped to 76702 just after 13 miles off city driving. Then I hit the trip/odometer reset then tried to drive home (drove 40 miles on odo) I did the same on my way to work on the freeway it read correct. I'm not sure if it did the same for the previous owner but the motor was swapped

Ooh and day that I realized was when I decided to show off my dream car about a good week after I got to start as my daily/ and I found out about the motor by going to Lexus of Palm Beach

I completely forgotten to note this down there is chattering under my dash not sure if it could be the fuses or relays. Not sure as to how to go about trouble shooting

Hello. Thought I would chime in. If the odometer is not recording properly, then the speedometer may be off as well. That is the first thing I would look at. Does the speedometer read correctly all of the time or is it reading too fast? A GPS would help in determining.

Hello. Thought I would chime in. If the odometer is not recording properly, then the speedometer may be off as well. That is the first thing I would look at. Does the speedometer read correctly all of the time or is it reading too fast? A GPS would help in determining.

If your speedo is correct but your odometer is jumping up in discrete increments, then I would definitely invest in a cheap GPS that can log your miles driven and speed and check against that. If you find that the speed reading is correct but the odo is completely off, then I would suspect an ECU issue. Maybe capacitors. But you have some verification to do before you can find the root cause.

If your speedo is correct but your odometer is jumping up in discrete increments, then I would definitely invest in a cheap GPS that can log your miles driven and speed and check against that. If you find that the speed reading is correct but the odo is completely off, then I would suspect an ECU issue. Maybe capacitors. But you have some verification to do before you can find the root cause.

Ok sounds good what brand would you recommend and also/ like if it turns out to be the ecu how to go about bring it back to being accurate.

You could get a simple Garmin unit (~$100) for long term testing or use your smart phone app. As far as the ECU, I am guessing that the ODO is stored there but it might also be stored in the gauge unit. Not sure. I have heard that you can read the actual mileage out of the system using an OBDII scanner but I have never tried it. That might be interesting to see if it matches your gauge readout. Any good body shop should be able to read out the mileage and adjust if you have a need to. But again, verify that what you think you saw is indeed always true, that is...the mileage is going up way too fast. A GPS unit will help with that in the 'trip' mode. Maybe you can borrow one.

You could get a simple Garmin unit (~$100) for long term testing or use your smart phone app. As far as the ECU, I am guessing that the ODO is stored there but it might also be stored in the gauge unit. Not sure. I have heard that you can read the actual mileage out of the system using an OBDII scanner but I have never tried it. That might be interesting to see if it matches your gauge readout. Any good body shop should be able to read out the mileage and adjust if you have a need to. But again, verify that what you think you saw is indeed always true, that is...the mileage is going up way too fast. A GPS unit will help with that in the 'trip' mode. Maybe you can borrow one.

Ok sounds great I'm happy that I already have a smart phone ready/ also I just manage to invest in a obd2 Bluetooth scanner to use with my torque pro app top sear I'd I can pull off the actual millage and see if I may be able to set it back

• 2 weeks later...

A cheap OBD tool would only mirror what you see on the odometer display. You better try isolating the problem by disconnecting the positive battery terminal for 20 secs and connecting it again and then driving between point A and B and comparing your odometer reading with someone else. If any issues, visit the dealer.

Unauthorised adjustment of the odometer is, as far as I know, illegal in your country (and unless done by professionals, it leaves traces of intrusion to the system). If your odometer indeed runs too fast, best to have it fixed by a dealer - otherwise you may run into troubles when (not)passing a next emission inspection or if a faulty odometer is identified when selling your car

Just got across this procedure in the LX service manual, you may give it a try on your car (as your high ODO readings might be caused by a prev owner having replaced the relevant ECU not having followed the procedure):

4. INITIALIZATION RELATED TO DISTANCE CONTROL ECU

NOTICE:

After removing and installing or replacing the distance control ECU, be sure to perform the following procedures.

(a) INITIALIZE DISTANCE CONTROL ECU

(1) Turn the engine switch on (IG).

(2) Turn the cruise control main switch on.

(3) Depress the brake pedal (brake switch on).

(4) With the brake pedal depressed, push the cruise control main switch to +RES 3 times within 3 seconds, and check that the buzzer sounds.

NOTICE:

At this time, do not turn the headlight dimmer switch on. Due to the activation of the beam axis automatic adjustment mode, turning the headlight dimmer switch on may result in an incorrect setting. If the headlight dimmer switch is turned on by mistake, perform the beam axis adjustment again