Top Speed

The manufacturer number for top speed is something like 146 for the sc300, but what I was wondering was, does it have a fuel cut off or a limiter on it? I won't top speed test my car cuz I cant risk getting caught. What speeds have you been able to get your cars to, with and without mods?

The differential limits the car to 160 mechanically I think. Change the gears out and higher speed is possible up to the rev limit in last gear. I also believe the automatic versions have a speed governor/fuel/ignition cut that hits at approximately 146. I have not personally gone that fast to know though.

south jersey on 295 South with my sc 400. for about 4 miles i was doing 145 along with a suzuki gsx-r. it felt like the car could of gone a little faster but i was just pacing with the suzuki. nice rush B)

I was at almost 6000 RPM at 135MPH so I'm pretty sure the limit on top speed is the rev limiter.

I do not advise speeds of over 95 though.

Here in California, anything over 95 is considered Reckless Driving?

I don't remember what they call it but basically, it's a BIG fine and 2 points with no option of driving school.

I think it's 100 mph. Anything over 100 and your fine doubles, I'm not sure about the point scale. This was as of last year.

A good rule of thumb is that the drag doubles as speed doubles, so top speed might not be at the rev limit. At 135 mph you probably had about 15-30 hp left, let alone that peak horsepower is at around 6000 rpm.

If you guys are talking about wind resistance - I'll have to disagree. If you change the differential out to the 6 speed TT differential, the car will do 200 or close to it I think. Someone will have to verify that though. It's all in the gearing. A turbo might help.

No way a Supra will go even close to 200 with only 320 HP. Gearing is but ONE factor in top speed, along with power, frontal area, and coefficient of drag. If the formula was a 1:1 relationship, a 100 HP Civic that tops out 100 MPH with optimum gearing could go 200 with 200 HP and optimum gearing. I would suspect that a Supra with 550-650 HP *might* top 200 MPH.

i have hit about 142 on rt50 im Maryland. the power is there, but the wind resistance is too high. i have seen my speedometer hit 160 when i was stuck in the snow this past winter. i got really *BLEEP*ed and just redlined every gear. i cant remember the exact rpms at 160, but it was around the red line. and no, i didnt get it out withough a shovel.lol

• 1 month later...

going over 100 here in cali can be charged with attempted manslaughter or something, possibility but unlikely you will unless you *BLEEP* the cop off prob.

ive gone over 140, but didnt get the top speed, not 150 though, but im sure it was around 145 (got 5speed 300) drove an average of 125, 130ish for and hour and 15 min (i really had too) had heater blasting whole time to try n keep stock engine cool, the cars so strong, i was a little worried pushing it so hard for so long, but no prob.

I wouldn't think you would have to push it that hard. You would think if you would've slowed down. Lower RPM's = lower engine temp eventually. With the heater blaring it would've taken a lot of eat away from the motor.. who knows. The only time I've had to do that. Going 65 was fine. But, it wasn't over heating too badly. Just low on fluid.

No way a Supra will go even close to 200 with only 320 HP. Gearing is but ONE factor in top speed, along with power, frontal area, and coefficient of drag. If the formula was a 1:1 relationship, a 100 HP Civic that tops out 100 MPH with optimum gearing could go 200 with 200 HP and optimum gearing. I would suspect that a Supra with 550-650 HP *might* top 200 MPH.

scientifically a stock Supra twin turbo can reach 200mph. if you need to see proof i will gladly find it and post it up.

scientifically a stock Supra twin turbo can reach 200mph. if you need to see proof i will gladly find it and post it up.

A stock TT Supra absolutely *will not* go 200 MPH "scientifically" or otherwise. I'd love to see this alleged "proof," since there isn't any. He's my proof: The Car And Driver tested the Supra Turbo in August 1997, and got 160 MPH out of it. Maybe your "Fast And Furious" throttle foot can get an extra 40 MPH out of it that the rest of the world wasn't aware of?

i went that fast because i had to be somewhere at a certain time or id be really f**'d, i was just saying that i was a lil worried of overheating for driving over 5000 rpm for over an hour straight, but our cars are too strong to be faded by that i found out