Cd Changer Problems

Exiled

I just got my insurance on a 1992 ES300 (yeppie!), but the CD Changer (6-disc, trunk-mounted) has not worked for some time.

-Pressing the CD button on the controls doesn't provide a response

-the Open button on the Changer doesn't work

My dad removed the Changer a few months ago, and I just wiped off the dust and tried my hands on getting it working... no luck.

The first concern is to get it working again. But if that's not possible, then opening the Changer would be nice, since apparently there are some CDs in there.... :o

Little help? :)

whenever I have any electrical component not working, I always check the fuses. You may have a CD in there that got stuck, overloaded the circuit and blew the fuse. Also, look around the unit and see if there is a reset switch. I am not familiar with the changer unit per say but most electonics have some kind of overload protection.

did you have any home labelled CDs in the cartridge? Alot of times the aftermarket labels are too thick to be placed in the slots. They jam in mid motion and trip the circuit or blow the fuse.

Check you manual if you got it, if not get one. There should be some sort of way to remove stuck CDs. Some kind of manual trigger button. It may be as simple as removing a cover.

good luck.

first question is does the light for the eject button light up to see if it has power

Yep, the "OPEN" button lights up when the unit is plugged in. I heard mechanical sounds when the button is pushed, but it was very faint, and there was no response. Now, I hear nothing.

Also, look around the unit and see if there is a reset switch. I am not familiar with the changer unit per say but most electonics have some kind of overload protection.

I have not seen such a switch, but the metal frame/harness that mounts the unit in the trunk is still attached, so there could be other controls currently hidden...

did you have any home labelled CDs in the cartridge?

Nope, the CDs were store-bought and as far as I know are of standard-label size.

Check you manual if you got it, if not get one. There should be some sort of way to remove stuck CDs. Some kind of manual trigger button. It may be as simple as removing a cover.

The manual is of no use for some reason; it does not offer troubleshooting on the topic. There is a manual trigger, just below the OPEN button. It doesn't help opening the cover - I had to do that myself. However, pushing the trigger with a metal pin does not seem to release the CD magazine, which refuses to move.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep fiddling around with it. Any other suggestions before I shell out the hundreds of my worthless Canadian dollars for a new unit? <_< :o

try it with the car running

maybe a little more power will help the motor

if you get the door open atleast

try pushing in the magazine a bit and releasing

then press the button

sounds like you have power to the unit

may be the motor for the disk reinserter has jammed

so it cqan't realease the mag

keep pressing the mag and button ofor a bit

it may help

• 4 months later...

I just recently had this problem occur to me too. Yesterday I used the car in the morning and parked it, i then used in later in the evening and the cd changer would not work. I tryed my changer in another ES and it also did not work in there. If anyone has information on the PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!